mellophone mouthpiece

ctbari

It's really hard to say when the rim thicknesses are different. I'll tell you what I can see though.

When placed against each other, rim to rim, the outer diameter is very very close, I can't tell any difference between them.

Because of the narrower rim, the inner diameter of the UMI mouthpiece (sorry I don't know correct mouthpiece lingo) is slightly smaller than that of the IYM.

The "bore" I guess, basically the hole at the smallest part of the inside of the mouthpiece...The UMI is noticeably larger than the IYM.

Overall length is the same.

The cup is deeper on the IYM and less tapered I guess, meaning it has more of a horn shape to it, going more gradually into the bore, whereas the UMI is more trumpet shaped, but obviously deeper than that of a trumpet.

I really wish I had a camera to take pictures of them side by side but I hope that helps you guys out some. In all reality it is not that comparable to a standard mello mouthpiece, it's a different animal all together.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

As sweet and pure as the Cav's mello line sounded last year, I can't believe there isn't more awareness of this (IYM/Kerchner) mouthpiece... Maybe I should have put IYM &/or Kerchner or Cavs in the Topic Title.

I just wish I could find out the size, relative to the 6V, before I order one.

I would bet folks would be more aware of this piece if they didn't suffer sticker shock. It is fairly pricey.

I would bet folks would be more aware of this piece if they didn't suffer sticker shock. It is fairly pricey.

This is true as well. That's the major reason I haven't tried it. I'm not willing to spend that much on a marching mouthpiece.

It also would help if it was made by a larger company, but Yamaha turned down the cavies when they asked about developing it, so IYM it is.

Yes, it is a good mouthpiece, but I wouldn't say it's 80 dollars worth better than a UMI mouthpiece which sounds great anyway in my experience. I may be on one (IYM) now but I'm never going to regret going back to a UMI.

Thanks xstevex, I appreciate the 1st hand information... I also agree that both of your points, price and recognized company, are exactly right. Either one by itself would have have been bad enough... but both together... and not being able to find any specs...