Need a 2nd valve slide for a 2 valve King Bugle

Jeff

Just got a 2 valve King Flugel and it is missing the slide that goes into the second valve. I've heard that the soprano, mello, and flugel slides were interchangible. If anyone has an extra or might be able to locate it, would have my undying gratitude. Chrome would be great, but any finish is acceptable.

Jeff, Bush Program Consulatant

Just got a 2 valve King Flugel and it is missing the slide that goes into the second valve. I've heard that the soprano, mello, and flugel slides were interchangible. If anyone has an extra or might be able to locate it, would have my undying gratitude. Chrome would be great, but any finish is acceptable.

Jeff, Bush Program Consulatant

Try one for a king trumpet

This is excellent advice. You should locate a local music store that carries King horns. If they have a shop there might be a slide in stock just waiting for you to come rescue it. Also, they might be able to order you a new one in chrome after measuring it. I worked as a full-time repair tech for about a decade. This is really and easy way to get exactly what you need. A good shop can get you anything, and a good tech can fix or build anything (both within reason, of course).

If the horn you have is a two-valve G horn, the second valve slide will be longer than a slide for a Bb trumpet. It will fit, but your notes using second valve will be quite sharp.

If the horn you have is a two-valve G horn, the second valve slide will be longer than a slide for a Bb trumpet. It will fit, but your notes using second valve will be quite sharp.

OOPS!!!

You are very right. See if you can locate (or order) a slide from a King F mellophone and have the crook cut a bit. Or have a King trumpet 2nd slide's legs replaced with longer tubing and cut so that it is in tune. Either way will be more costly but are pretty easy to do if you have access to a good tech. If you can locate a Bb second slide, look for any Bb 1st or 3rd slide for the longer tubing for the leg replacements since they already fit perfectly.

Or look for one on eBay.

Try RaveDodger (a member here on DCP). He has a lot of stuff and might be able to locate the actual part you need, which would be much easier and less costly, but could take longer.

Sorry about the earlier advice

In addition to needing the correct length for the slide on a G bugle, I've measured the bore at .468 and the outside dimension of the slide .495. I was hoping someone out there would have access to some older instruments that are parts horns or be able to put me in touch with someone who does.

Thanks for the input and advice.

Jeff

I would imagine that the Kanstul might be able to make one for you. I believe the King is a Zig design. They might be familar enough to at least give you some dimensions so you can have someone fabricate one.

I would imagine that the Kanstul might be able to make one for you. I believe the King is a Zig design. They might be familar enough to at least give you some dimensions so you can have someone fabricate one.

Good thought - I forgot about that.

HAve you tried Paul Collings at www.thebrassshoponline.com yet?

IF he does not have one,,no body is going to have one except Kanstul.