attn: minicorps veterans - ideas and suggestions?

I could have went on explaining how we approached rehearsals ect. Oh NEVER MIND, I did get a little lenghty but thought it may help those who wondered HOW !!!

I don't post often, only when I really have something to say and feel it's the right thing to do.

"Good Nite Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are"!!!!

Whoops, I forgot to get the performance copyright permission to say that ......

It IS much appreciated.

thanks!

Edited by brassomaniac

Hi Tom. Here are a couple of more thoughts to add to the mix.

When I was a younger man, judging was based on execution (the infamous tic system) and in my humble opinon there was too much emphasis on the negative (not making a mistake) and not nearly enough on the positive (go out and perform for the crowd). Instruction was almost exclusively focused on what was wrong, and hardly ever focused on what to do right to perform better. Lesson learned - reinforce the positives, the negatives will take care of themselves.

Attitude and how you approach the performance is paramount. I joined the Erie Thunderbirds for the 2002 season and the first thing I realized was that no one thought the corps belonged anywhere but in first place. Win or lose when it came to the one competition of the year (mini-corps championships), that attitude shows right thru to the crowd during every peformance. Lesson learned - whether you think you can, or you think you cannot, you are right.

Total mastery of your instrument never hurts. Concentrate on developing each individual to be a stronger and better player. If someone can't read music, help them learn. If someone is playing on the wrong mouthpiece, encourage them to change. Get each person to commit to individual practice. Have an experienced player give them private lessons.

Choose accessible music that will connect with the crowd. Music stirs the emotions, and that emotional conection is what you need to constantly strive for. Build elements into the show that excite the crowd. Jeff Gibbens is a master of doing this with the Thunderbirds brass arrangements.

When the time comes to perform, walk out in front of the crowd like you own the place and let fly. I fully realized how important this is when I marched with the 2000 Skyliners, and I carried the lesson on to a 2002 Mini-Corps championship with the Thunderbirds. I was an overnight success after 35 years of striving:))

I wish you the same success - good luck!

Thanks Roger, for that great input!

We are very excited about getting started, and interest is building every day.

Most of us are going to participate in the Ron Ghetti tribute, so we'll be preparing for that soon. Looks like we'll get started sooner than I thought.