Sunvayle or Elk Grove

Ok, for the two Div 1 corps at Sunnyvale, Mandarins were very strong with battery as awesome as always. Very serious, "professional" corps with strong overall presentation. I was impressed, again, by their mallet players and some of the totally fun runs and fills they pull off. Again, not very expansive in their use of the field but put on an overall very clean GE show. Horns have improved since early in the season and steadily built to a strong crescendo: good "face blowing off moments." They took first at this show.

Pacific Crest has a flat out fun show. By now you've probably figured out my bent as loving corps that look like they're enjoying themselves. In this case, the Pacific Crest pit is national champion! All of their pit, who are very talented, clearly enjoy what they're doing. The late 1940's jazz/LA Confidential-ish theme and music are easy to enjoy and approach. They have a drum set drummer in their pit who does drum-off bit with the battery line in the middle of the show. Dude is very talented and projects enough to hold his own. Their horns are good but not excellent and, in my opinion, the piece that keeps them from being truly great. Their guard is one of my favorites, with great costumes and fun semi-big band moves. This was the fourth time I had seem them this summer and felt it was not their best show, but still totally fun. You don't get the feeling this corps is trying to set new records of excellence. You get the feeling they're trying to entertain and put on a great show while having the time of their lives. Maybe I'm over doing the point, but I feel like this is a great corps to "play" with not so much to "compete" with. I mean that with the utmost respect.

any reviews for BDC, Gold, and/or Fever?

Once again, Blue Devils C corps put on a fun show. Having seen them five times already, it is good to see them peak at the end of their summer schedule. Even the little ones were holding their horns up at the right angle! The one kid on the #1 bass drum who struggled all summer to stand up straight proved again he was a gamer. Their music execution definitely showed improvement the corps can be proud of.

I had seen Jester before this year and am convinced that Sunnyvale was also their best show. Their battery was much tighter in formation and performance since the last time I saw them. The pit is strong for the most part with a couple of very talented members. Their horns are their weak link. Partly due to the lack of size but also due to command of their instrument and material. That being said, this show was clearly their loudest. I felt the whole corps played as if they had something to prove. As a fan, I admire this corps very much.

Gold has made some major strides! Great drums and great energy! Very much a winter guard "in the gym" feel to the show, but well done. Strong work from a small group. Their mallets are very talented. As a timpani fan, Gold kills me with no timps!?! I suppose I'll live.

I apologize, but I missed fever.

There's two out of the three you're looking for.

Thanks, Bob. (Well, it IS about the shows too, but anyway...) So, you remember last year? Natomas High School... had to be WELL over 100 degrees; for me, perhaps the hottest show I went to last year. It's cooled down here today again... I just hope the corps in the mid-west are going to run into some reprieve, temperature-wise, soon. It's gotta be rough out there.

Oh, and I should add, DREAM was VERY entertaining. I loved their music, really got the crowd moving too. THANKS for a fun show! (Sorry that I forgot that the first time around.)

Perhaps I should have said "not as much about the shows, but also the overall experience". Either way I liked your review.

And yes I remember all too well last years heat at Natoomas. We rehearsed at the school ALL DAY in that heat because our show wasnt quite done. Our last run through left me partially heat-stroked and I spent the next 45 minutes sitting in a car with the A/C on drinking water until I could think straight. I can only imagine what they are going through in the mid-west right now.

I spoke to my daughter yesterday - she's now in Texas, and she said it's been really rough, but the kids are being very well taken care of, and there are a LOT of wonderful parents and groups who are going the extra mile by bringing them ice, gatorade, ice cream, fresh fruit and veggies, etc. I guess Kansas was the worst so far, because in addition to the heat, there was high humidity. I too can't figure out how the heck these guys are all holding up. Last summer, my daughter was rushed to the hospital after the show in Troy, from dehydration, so she's trying to be extra careful, as much as that's possible in this situation. I know in her case anyway, staff isn't pushing the kids too hard, and they're getting more frequent breaks. They've got a huge support system, and that also helps. Gives them a lot of "war stories" to tell their grandkids someday!

From last year, that Natomas show will always stand out in my mind, because of the heat. This year, it was the San Diego show, because of the humidity... I'm sure there were and will be hotter and stickier shows, but for me, those two are my own personal "highlights", and I was just sitting in the stands! Glad you made it through though.. thank goodness for A/C!