BD/Cavies recording sessions

Curious to hear reviews of the BD and Cavaliers open recording sessions yesterday. Wish I could have been there!

I did not have a chance to see the Cavies, but by accident we got down to the I&E early and had the opportunity to watch BD. It was held at the Overture Center in the big auditorium where the accoustics were top notch. The brass was facing the stage and the pit and battery were on stage, so it was kind of strange to observe that set-up. Whoever the gentlemen was leading the recording session really knew his stuff and I would definitely say that both groups CD will be first-rate and definitely worth the purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Cavaliers recording session. Fantastic sound! As a brass player, I'm always interested to see how other corps run their hornlines. The setup was a little wierd, but I agree that the sound guy knew his stuff, and had recorded drum corps in such a setting before. Although I will say it was pretty weird to try to hold back applause at the end of a piece so that it wouldn't get on the tape!

I heard that Devils recorded video, but I don't think Cavies did. If they did, I missed the cameras.

Whoever the gentlemen was leading the recording session really knew his stuff and I would definitely say that both groups CD will be first-rate and definitely worth the purchase.

The gentleman leading the recording session was Emmy-award winning producer Frank Dorritie. Frank produces the Blue Devils' recordings every year and has done a number of the "State of the Art" and surround sound recording sessions for various corps. Here's a bit more of his bio:

Frank Dorritie is a performer, producer, arranger, educator and author. He is known for his work with Dave Brubeck, Wynton Marsalis, the National Cast of Phantom of the Opera and Tito Puente, among others. Nine of his recordings have received Grammy Nominations and two of these, New York Scene (Art Blakey) and La Onda Va Bien (Cal Tjader), won Grammy Awards in Jazz and Latin categories, respectively. He has instructed and/or arranged music for the Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Garfield Cadets, Bluecoats, Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Renegades and a host of other corps and bands. Frank has worked as a performer, clinician and adjudicator throughout North America, Europe, South Africa and Japan, and has served as musical consultant for Fox Television. He is the Chair of Recording Arts at Los Medanos College and his books "Essentials of Music for Audio Professionals" and "Handbook of Field Recording" are published by ArtistPro. Frank is the DCA I&E champion (Tenor Bugle) and a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

In addition, Frank is one HECK of a nice guy and a real pleasure to be around. Talk about a real legend in the drum corps activity.

Yep - he "really knows his stuff". The recordings that were made are sure to be top-notch.

-john