Semifinials Madison

Ok, not so late tonight so here is my review; from a percussionists point of view.

Today was cool, as in the weather was cool. High around 1pm today was 76 and cooled off quickly. I would say by the end of show time it was in the 60's. I had to wear a jacket.

Update from yesterday, I didn't have the same people sit by me that were rude with cell phone going off, loud talking and whatnot. I'm thankful.

Great crowd tonight and very very responsive. I had a full row tonight and I was cramped. It's hard to watch a show when you are literally squeezing yourself together just to sit and not cause discomfort to the people around you.

Mandarins: Sorry, I was stuck in the tunnel, too many people trying to get in at once.

Capital Regiment: I really enjoy this show. My favorite part is when they use the tubes. The kids looked like they were having a ton of fun. Crowd ate it up when the tenor drum caught the frisbee. Great job and I look forward to seeing this corps next year.

Blue Stars: Surprise of the night was they beat Crossmen; and in my opinion they sure did. When you watched Stars, you knew that they knew this was their last show and they left it all of the field tonight. I saw so much emotion from them, I think it's that fact alone which made them perform the best show of their lives. Drums sounded great tonight and really projected well. I'm not sure if it was tuning, but the exception to that is the bass drums were not as noticeable as the snares and tenors. I've never been a fan of Ludwig drums and not sure if this played into that. In any case they did a great job. Yes, I would have liked to have heard a little less narration, but it all made sense so I'll give them that. I think Blue Stars will make Finals next year, that's my prediction.

Crossmen: Today did not seem as strong as yesterday. I really enjoy the radio part and think it is still the best use of voice amplification to date. Even though I do not like voice in Corps, I appreciate that it was tastefully done. I really don't have much else to say about Crossmen. Hope things go really well for them next year.

Colts: I think this is one of the best Colts in history. Yeah, they didn't make finals, but if you look at how good everyone is this year, they should be feeling great at what they accomplished this season. I love the use of patio chimes in the pit. Drumline is good but what really shines is thier cymbal section. What great visuals! You know, Colts should make a video on just how many different sounds you can get with a pair of crash cymbals. They really explore this in thier music and it is a joy to listen to. Good job and best to this corps in 2007.

Spirit from JSU: I'm not a brass guy, hence the topic description, but I really notice how great their brass section is. Some big power from them and most of all, a very balanced and great quality of sound. Nothing else really stuck out, but I'll pay more attention tomorrow.

Glassmen: This drumline plays with such a nice touch and balance that it just blends in with the entire ensemble. Kudos to you! Like everyone, I love the going silent part. Pit played some nice parts on keys that again balanced out very well and just mixed with the entire ensemble. Pleasure to listen to.

Madison Scouts: Crowd response was great. They have made enough changes to this show that it works now. Madison knows how to pin your ears back when it comes time and we all love it. Drumline was super clean!!! I couldn't hear the pit like before, not sure if they didn't have their amps up as much as last night; as last night I could make things out very well. No doubt that this show is a hard show for them so I give them credit for that, but I hope that next year they can deliver on all of the goods, it was not all clean yet as of today. Oh well, I still love Madison. Hope they pull it all of tomorrow.

Boston Crusaders: My first viewing of this show. The unis are super red in color and you can't help but notice that when they take the field. Also the reflections from the uni was a tad bit distracting because of all the lights at the stadium. Overall I really like their show. But for me it's not all memorable. Maybe it's the first viewing, but I can't think of much. I'll look more tomorrow.

Blue Knights: Yeah!!! What a nice surprise tonight, I could so tell they turned on the heat and were in the groove today. The show just clicked and had some wonderful impact points. Wow, they were just on tonight, thrilling to listen to. I'm thinking this will be one of the shows that I'll end up listening to many times over. I hope tomorrows performance is as good if not better as tonight. It takes a few viewing for me to totally get into a semi abstract show, if that is you want to call it. I can't wait to hear it tomorrow. And to save the best for last, the pit section; what musicians they have on the keys. Such emotion, impecable phrasing, the real deal folks. If you read this and are going to finals, spend a lot of time and check the pit out, you will fall in love like I did tonight. (guess what I'll be watching the whole night?)

Carolina Crown: OK, when I saw them a month ago, I thought of Star of Indiana and wondering if they could even get close to selling the show like they did. Folks, tonight they did! Brass was loud, I mean really loud at times. That purple plume really is striking when you see it on the field; keep that for next year! But overall, they sold the show and the crowd responded with wild applause. It was just great!!

SCV: Another corps that turned on the fire tonight. Just watching the drumline you could see the passion in what they are doing. Feed these kids what you did tonight, because they were just that good. My only gripe would be hornline doesn't seem as loud and powerful as all the other top corps. But again, not a horn expert, don't know why this is. I just know that I felt it tonight and that's why they topped Bluecoats. They gave us the finished product in a pretty polished form, and we all bought it. What will tomorrow bring? Gosh, I hope the same.

Bluecoats: Off night from my point of view. There was not that fire that I saw last night. SCV did do better I tonight in my opinion. Seeing I'm considering it an off night, I'll leave it at that and will give a better review when I know it's going to be better tomorrow.

The Cadets: Yesterday, I admitted that I actually like this show compared to just hating it a month ago. I needed tonight to seal the deal. Guess what, I like the show.....to a point. I still think there are too many things going on at some times, but not anywhere near the madness as a month ago. They really changed a lot to give them the formula to do well this weekend. I just think those changes were a little too late. They really need 1 or 2 more weeks to sell it more and I think they would have really had a run for the top. Hopefully this is a good lesson learned to the staff. Bass break is one of the best in the last 10 years. Funny moment-- the narration says "Where are we?" Some one yells out "Madison!" I think a large group of us are going to do that tomorrow; if you are going tomorrow join us! Where are we....geeze. Sorry, not to stir the pot, but I think that narration is a bit pointless. But ya know.

Phantom Regiment: Let me tell ya, this show is a winning show. The only thing that basically sucks for Phantom is they have 2 corps that also have that winning show. The crowd was in a frenzy tonight!!! When that last drill set hit, as someone else put it, they were throwing babies at them. Drumline is out of this world. Wanna know what really great; you know these kids know they are so close and are giving it 100% and even a heck of a lot more to make it happen. This must be one wild roller coaster ride for them. I'm predicting they they will pass up BD tomorrow for 2nd. I'm predicting they will give the show of their lives and it will be complete magic. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone wasn't bawling after they leave the field. This is going to be the show to watch and fully enjoy tomorrow.

Blue Devils: They have a great package and sell it well. The drumline has that BD attitude and gives you goosebumps when you see it. I didn't think they were as on as yeasterday. With that said, it's theirs to loose tomorrow. But even with a great show tomorrow, I think Phantom will have so much momentum in them that they will pass them up. I love BD, don't get me wrong, but that's just how I see things working out.

Cavaliers: Again, show ends with guard passing the snare player over them. What a highlight! I still want to see the Bottom Bass instead; that would be wild!!! Again, another stellar show and should be the winner tomorrow. The sounds that come out of that pit are some of the best I've heard in a long time. I think I'll leave it at that seeing I'll probably be writing a book tomorrow on the show.

Well, that's it! See you tomorrow!

davdrums

EDIT---Sorry, I can't spell tonight. I spelled "semifinals" wrong in the topic.....DOH!!!!

Edited by davdrums