Magic's 2007 Info Meeting

Jared,

I also had someone contact me who wrote an email to Curt (at the email address he had posted for the question and answer session) on OCTOBER 11th and has yet to receive a reply. Today is the 21st - so that is 10 days on my calendar. She is still waiting to get "filled in".

I've probably recieved ten eMail's from Curt since the 11th from him. I would suggest writing an email to him personally?

I think I may have figured a way to raise some money playing on the tourist attraction's in the Orlando area, and you don't have to be in Orlando to help. The master plan is to produce one of those tourist pamphlets that you see in hotel lobbies. By selling the advertisement (in the pamphlet) to local business's, we can raise money. This way, business's have an incentive to helping us out (by getting more business).

I need volunteer's so, feel free, if anyone wants to help, email me at DiMoltoFuoco@hotmail.com

Personally, our financial goal is not that far off, but I will say that it's a five digit figure.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I may have figured a way to raise some money playing on the tourist attraction's in the Orlando area, and you don't have to be in Orlando to help. The master plan is to produce one of those tourist pamphlets that you see in hotel lobbies. By selling the advertisement (in the pamphlet) to local business's, we can raise money. This way, business's have an incentive to helping us out (by getting more business).

I need volunteer's so, feel free, if anyone wants to help, email me at DiMoltoFuoco@hotmail.com

Is this an official request from the Magic for help, or just an enthusiastic request to raise money? I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but the type of tourist pamphlet that you are talking about takes time and talent to develop.

You'll need a "sales force" to do this. First, you'll need to decide where you want to drop the pamphlets, so that the businesses will know where their ads would be found... The sales team would need to get pre-approval at all of these locations. Next, your sales team would need to professionally approach the targeted businesses, and to sell them on WHY your pamphlet would be advantageous. Once you meet with a decision maker, you'll realize that the decision maker is NOT the decision maker, and needs to check with someone before saying "yes". You'll need to follow up on all of these calls- and it can take several visits to one location before they say yes.

If businesses decide to advertise within the pamphlet:

1. Someone will need to collect and compile all of the ad slicks.

2. Someone will need to professionally prepare the pamphlet.

3. Someone will need to return to all of the businesses for the final "proof" before it goes into production.

4. Someone will need to contact and pay a publisher.

5. Once the piece is ready, someone will need to distribute them to all of the defined locations.

6. Once the distribution market is figured out, someone will need to return to all of the hotels/hot spots to refill and monitor distribution.

7. The pamphlets would need to offer coupons or other offers, so that the businesses could track the success of this piece over other marketing pieces. Someone would need to validate the pamphlets success, so that someone could approach the businesses to renew the program in a year.

I wish you luck, but time isn't on your side.

You'd be able to make more money if you'd focus your efforts on musical performances at venues, like the Magic used to do. I know there are several Magic members and alumni that live in Orlando, that could donate their time and talent to perform. Again, someone would need to hustle to lock in venues, and then to get commitments from members/alumni to be there.

Good luck.

Tell Curt to set up a PayPal donation button on the web site.

There is a Paypal button. Down to the right, it says Make a Donation. I used it myself and it appears to work fine.

From what we were told at the meeting, they do not have to have the money in hand necessarily to move forward. They never said "we have to raise X amount in X days." They do need to know that the fundraising plans are in place and the people will be around to help.

Edited by Meredith

There is a Paypal button. Down to the right, it says Make a Donation. I used it myself and it appears to work fine.

From what we were told at the meeting, they do not have to have the money in hand necessarily to move forward. They never said "we have to raise X amount in X days." They do need to know that the fundraising plans are in place and the people will be around to help.

First off, I've been following this post since its inception. Some well thought out questions and some unwarranted speculation has thus far been posted. Overall, this "thread" has been upbeat and positive Yet, few if any tangible results have thus far been achieved, to my knowledge. The gist of what seems to spill into most comments is simply, COMMUNICATION!

"Mouthpiece, the BoD and now "They." People are being asked to "blindly follow" or "participate" but yet have NO idea who they are following. (Possible exception, a few local Orlando insiders.)

(1) Who is the Board? Who is in charge of the "Corps" and "finances" now that Bruce has stepped down from Magic?

(2) Does Magic have the support of DCI, Tour commitment?

(3) Best guess/estimate Magic will be able to Tour with adequate staff, volunteers, financial acumen?

This is a "Youth Activity" is it not? Don't parents deserve to have adequate information when they confer and decide on their child's future? Why isn't Magic's WEB Site posting timely updates and keeping possible volunteers, staff, philanthropist, and most importantly, "Perspective Marching Members" informed? Again, it all boils down to one thing: COMMUNICATION! People are likely to be skeptical and have a natural instinct to be kept informed, especially when they are "entrusting" their child to others. Please "open" and honest communications from the TOP, regardless of its contents (positive or painful.) We (Drum Corps Community) deserve no less. (P. S.) This post is not necessarily exclusive to "Magic" I, for one, encourage more TRANSPARANCY in this community called, "D.C.I." After all, this is a YOUTH ACTIVITY, not-for-profit organization with tax exempt, 501©(3) status.

Edited by Skywatch1

Is this an official request from the Magic for help, or just an enthusiastic request to raise money? I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but the type of tourist pamphlet that you are talking about takes time and talent to develop.

You'll need a "sales force" to do this. First, you'll need to decide where you want to drop the pamphlets, so that the businesses will know where their ads would be found... The sales team would need to get pre-approval at all of these locations. Next, your sales team would need to professionally approach the targeted businesses, and to sell them on WHY your pamphlet would be advantageous. Once you meet with a decision maker, you'll realize that the decision maker is NOT the decision maker, and needs to check with someone before saying "yes". You'll need to follow up on all of these calls- and it can take several visits to one location before they say yes.

If businesses decide to advertise within the pamphlet:

1. Someone will need to collect and compile all of the ad slicks.

2. Someone will need to professionally prepare the pamphlet.

3. Someone will need to return to all of the businesses for the final "proof" before it goes into production.

4. Someone will need to contact and pay a publisher.

5. Once the piece is ready, someone will need to distribute them to all of the defined locations.

6. Once the distribution market is figured out, someone will need to return to all of the hotels/hot spots to refill and monitor distribution.

7. The pamphlets would need to offer coupons or other offers, so that the businesses could track the success of this piece over other marketing pieces. Someone would need to validate the pamphlets success, so that someone could approach the businesses to renew the program in a year.

I wish you luck, but time isn't on your side.

You'd be able to make more money if you'd focus your efforts on musical performances at venues, like the Magic used to do. I know there are several Magic members and alumni that live in Orlando, that could donate their time and talent to perform. Again, someone would need to hustle to lock in venues, and then to get commitments from members/alumni to be there.

Good luck.

Don't forget a lawyer to draw contract's up and make sure were good on that end.

Since you have so much insight, thanks for volunteering to help out!

Oh wait... your just raining on our parade?

I relized the amount of work when I suggested this to curt.

No, I'm not getting help from administration to help this fundraiser.

We can do it, with more passionate, enthusiastic member/parent/volunteer's Like me.

Besides, in under a week we have already raised 11,000 of the 50,000 we need.

Edited by MAGICisUNDERRATED

Don't forget a lawyer to draw contract's up and make sure were good on that end.

I relized the amount of work when I suggested this to curt.

No, I'm not getting help from administration to help this fundraiser.

We can do it, with more passionate, enthusiastic member/parent/volunteer's Like me.

Besides, in under a week we have already raised 11,000 of the 50,000 we need.

I have tried to bite my tounge, but if you truly represent your corps, then you have dishonored it by your vitrol, sarcasm, and demanding behavior in a public forum. And you bring shame to your corps by your behavior. As a director of a youth group, if you represented the group I led in this way you would be disassociated with it. And as a member of the general drum corps public I would be strongly inclined to put my hard earned money elsewhere.

Magic deserves better representation than you just gave.

Edited by prodigal bari

Besides, in under a week we have already raised 11,000 of the 50,000 we need

Be glad you're not my kid, cause I'd be washing your mouth out with soap right about now.

It was obvious to me that BL1977 put some time, thought, and effort into crafting a response to you.

Perhaps he has been around a little longer than you and has more experience as to what it takes to

pull something like that together.

Actually, I would have THANKED him for his insight and used it to get a realistic estimate of

the time, money, and networking necessary to pull it off in a short period of time. If you

found it was "doable", great. If not, you could turn your attention to something with a quicker

turnaround time.

I am really pretty shocked at your attitude cause all the Magic kids I met were always so

polite and appreciative. What a great bunch of kids. Personally, I think they would be

ashamed at your behavior.

-----------------

On another note, Jared, is there a particular timetable for the fundraising? How much money

has to be raised before audition camps are announced?

Be glad you're not my kid, cause I'd be washing your mouth out with soap right about now.

It was obvious to me that BL1977 put some time, thought, and effort into crafting a response to you.

Perhaps he has been around a little longer than you and has more experience as to what it takes to

pull something like that together.

Actually, I would have THANKED him for his insight and used it to get a realistic estimate of

the time, money, and networking necessary to pull it off in a short period of time. If you

found it was "doable", great. If not, you could turn your attention to something with a quicker

turnaround time.

I am really pretty shocked at your attitude cause all the Magic kids I met were always so

polite and appreciative. What a great bunch of kids. Personally, I think they would be

ashamed at your behavior.

-----------------

On another note, Jared, is there a particular timetable for the fundraising? How much money

has to be raised before audition camps are announced?

I'm also sure that most Magic kid's havn't read this forum, or havn't had the motivation to post. As to be ashamed of me? No way, they're probably glad to see that at least someone is fighting for their corps.

Basically, we have to have all the money before we can go ahead. We can't really have a camp without horns, unless we learn drill, but... we're not the cavies, and I highly doubt any drill will be written by December.

On a more positive note, in addition to the 11G's that has been raised, i've heard of about 16,000 more coming in soon. For upates on how we're doing on the money, check the site.

The banquet has been announced and is on the site for anyone interested.

The turnaround on my fundraiser doesn't have to be immediate, because as long as Magic has a piece of paper that says that they will get the money, we can go ahead with the purchase. Therefore, we would have business sign a contract stating that they will pay 'x' amount after they approve the proof of the ad.

You could ask the kids from Magic about my attitude from tour and they will tell you that I really will not sugar coat anything. I'm brutally honest.

I personally will do everything I can in order to ensure Magic field's in 07. I posted the idea for the fundraiser in hopes that I could generate volunteer's out of the DCP public. This fundraising effort doesn't need a negative post. I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE AMOUNT OF WORK INVOLVED. I know that the post from BL1977 could turn away possible volunteers.

Would you really wash an 18 year old's mouth out with soap?

Edited by MAGICisUNDERRATED

Good luck.

Magic is Underrated... this should have been the message that you focused on. I'm NOT a nay-sayer on your enthusiasm, but I am a realist. My career has weaved into (and out of) marketing- if I still had connections, I would have contacted you with points of contacts that you could use to pursue your idea.

As for me, personally, I am a MOM that, like texasmom, took 2 weeks of personal vacation to travel with the corps... I volunteered in '05, and texasmom was in '06. So, without bashing anyone on a public forum, I know the "players" at the Magic. I know which ones are receptive to new and innovative ideas, and I know who will roll their eyes because they know what-you-are-saying-has-already-been-tried and therefore discredited...

Sorry to degress- back to the positivity. There ARE kids that live in Orlando that WILL support the Magic. I know that people have stated that most members come from afar, but I know that there are drum corps members that attend the University of Central Florida (pop. 45,000 students). If you cut through all of the B.S.~ what does the Magic know about marketing? Little. But what does the Magic know about music and entertaining? BUNCHES.

Focus on what you know. Don't re-create the wheel. Figure out the music/entertainment side.

On a nostalgic note, when I marched in drum corps, our fund raisers included:

1. selling Tombstone pizzas.

2. presenting (and selling) a "Tom Watts" kit, of assorted wrapping paper, stationery, and bows.

3. marching marathons. We had to solicit pledges, and then march all night to get the money....

Any other crazy ideas out there that the Magic could take advantage of????