Toronto Optimist Alumni

The Toronto Optimist Alumni is entering its 5th year. Fall rehearsals have been great with the addition of new members to the brass and percussion sections (the snare line is going to be smoking again, and our entire fantastic bass line is back featuring all members who have played bass in the last 5 years).

If you heard the Optimists in Kitchener last summer, you know the 40 member brass section was on par with the best the junior corps had in its prime.

The corps is looking to be even better in 07 and you can be a part of it. Most of the members are former Optimists and Seneca Optimists, but they welcome anyone who wants to have a good time and play music that reflects proudly on the history of the corps. The rumour is true, there are some Del and Oaklands members, including me. We get along in our old age.

We're having an open house on November 19th from noon to 4 p.m. Come check us out and listen to the corps perform. If you have rusty chops, don't worry, we all had rusty chops, but we've got a great winter program that will help you find them again.

Former Blue Devil Jamie Oatt works with the brass and Lorne Ferrazutti and I keep the drums rocking.

Did I mention we want to expand our colour guard?

We practice at the Royal Canadian Legion on Lakeshore Drive. I can't think of a better place to practice with a spectacular view of Lake Ontario and the Toronto Downtown. The best part? The legion comes with a fully stocked bar, useful for helping to remember stories about that time in 72, or 68.

Go to www.optimists-alumni.org./index.html for more information, including a nifty map, mp3s, pictures, sheet music and contact details. Visit our forum and say hi.

Regards,

John Swartz

Optimists 04 - ??

Edited by sarnia sam

Bump!

Optimists Alumni 05-??

• 2 weeks later...

The Website was redesigned and the link changed. It's now:

http://www.optimists-alumni.org./

Lot's of buzz at last wekeend's rehearsal about potential recruits coming to the open house. It should be pretty full around the bar. The corps is sounding pretty good for October. Snare line is up to 7 and sounding like May rather than October.

Regards,

John

• 3 weeks later...
B)

Good luck with your endeavors ... from a former LaSalle Cadets, Ottawa, Ont.

^OO^

Jean, I've never met you, but I know of you. I will be sure to tell everyone you sent your best wishes.

By the way, we have a couple of members who regularly come from Ottawa to Toronto for rehearsal and gigs.

Regards,

John Swartz

:worthy: If you heard Cadets LaSalle in the 1970's you know about Jean Leblanc! :worthy: Edited by kusankusho

I remember Jean Lablanc's terrific sop solos from the late '60s and early '70s. I believe it was him at the end of the '68 show doing all the wild slurring. I'm one of those who commutes regularly from Ottawa to T.O. for rehearsals and performances. The open house went very well. We had about 30 "Guests" come out and I believe they were impressed. I recall that back in Jean's time, Lasalle also had a solo bari who was pretty good.

Brian Hogan

Toronto Optimists '69 - '73

Optimists Alumni - Charter Member

I remember Jean Lablanc's terrific sop solos from the late '60s and early '70s. I believe it was him at the end of the '68 show doing all the wild slurring. I'm one of those who commutes regularly from Ottawa to T.O. for rehearsals and performances. The open house went very well. We had about 30 "Guests" come out and I believe they were impressed. I recall that back in Jean's time, Lasalle also had a solo bari who was pretty good.

Brian Hogan

Toronto Optimists '69 - '73

Optimists Alumni - Charter Member

B)

Brian ... Thanks for the comments. Those were the days and years I'll never forget!

LaSalle's baritone soloist at the time was Bill Cross. He is a professionnal trombone player with a symphony orchestra somewhere in Canada.

B)

Edited by boogieBRIG