mellophone mouthpieces

Penn State

I have seen folks playing on the 14F4 before. A nice deep V cup is the way to go mello-wise. Mello6, IMY, Curry TF, you name it, they are all deep Vs.

The Curry TF cup is a great choice for switch-hitters. All the Curry rim sizes are consistent so you can get any of their trumpet pieces with the same rim diameter as your TF. After switching to the Curry 3TF on mello I switched from my trusty Bach 3C to a Curry 3C on trumpet so at least the rim diameter would feel the same. The difference in cup shape and volume isn't a big deal. After all, you switching between two horns that are very different in response and feel, as well as being in different keys. The more you often you switch, the easier it gets. I often just play my trumpet with the 3TF. It was after all originally designed for trumpet. BTW a Curry 3C and a Bach 3C are different despite their coding.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Curry TF cup is a great choice for switch-hitters. All the Curry rim sizes are consistent so you can get any of their trumpet pieces with the same rim diameter as your TF.

Yup, I forgot to mention that in my initial support of the TF. Thanks!

What's the best one to use if you're a horn player and don't want to lose your horn chops? I think I may have asked this before, but my mind isn't as good as it used to be (as if it ever was... :D). The Kelly looks to be a good option, but then again, I haven't played a mellophone in, well, um, several years (we played Bach 1C's or 11/2C"s if I remember right).

What's the best one to use if you're a horn player and don't want to lose your horn chops?

Horn in harder to play than mello. So there is no equivalent piece. You're gonna push less hard on mello for the same range/dynamic. But if you want to keep a similar feel with regards to a mouhtpiece, then the V cup is probably better. The 6v being one option. It's actually why I tried to switch to a Stork M1, and/or a Bach 10S, because it had the same inner rim width as the Conn CKB Mello 6. The M1 plays great, but doesn't have my desired sound on a marching french horn(Schilke 30, Bach 10S). The 10S has a good sound, but doesn't play as well as others on a marching french horn (M1, Schilke 30). If you must, you could always use a french horn piece with a mello adapter. But IMO the mello is supposed to have a brighter sound than a french horn. Not as bright as a lead soprano, but brighter than a frenchie.

As far as losing your chops, by my experience, the chops for french horn are in the abs. As long as your keep playing a brass instrument, regardless of which, you should be able to maintain your current chops. Now you most likely wont improve on your current chops unless you play a frenchie. But you can maintain them somewhat. Although your familiarity with the horn might suffer if you go too long without actually playing said horn. Just my opinion.

What's the best one to use if you're a horn player and don't want to lose your horn chops? I think I may have asked this before, but my mind isn't as good as it used to be (as if it ever was... ). The Kelly looks to be a good option, but then again, I haven't played a mellophone in, well, um, several years (we played Bach 1C's or 11/2C"s if I remember right).

I think any of the "mello" mouthpieces would be good (mello 6 or 6v from any brand). I would push you away from Kelly mouthpieces simply because when playing with any mouthpiece made of a synthetic non-metal material I always feel like I'm losing A LOT of resonance, which I see as a negative no matter what you're playing where. I think the main thing that I've seen is that you have to keep up your chops on both horns. They feel different to play. The mouthpieces sit differently on your chops. If there's any way possible, don't stop playing one while you're playing the other. Also, remember that pressure is much more detrimental when playing horn.

I think any of the "mello" mouthpieces would be good (mello 6 or 6v from any brand). I would push you away from Kelly mouthpieces simply because when playing with any mouthpiece made of a synthetic non-metal material I always feel like I'm losing A LOT of resonance, which I see as a negative no matter what you're playing where. I think the main thing that I've seen is that you have to keep up your chops on both horns. They feel different to play. The mouthpieces sit differently on your chops. If there's any way possible, don't stop playing one while you're playing the other. Also, remember that pressure is much more detrimental when playing horn.

another big factor to consider here....

drum corps playing is large ensemble playing, and the key is to get a homogenuous sound across the line... with lots more players involved than in an orchestral or band setting, a big argument can be made for matching equipment, including mouthpeices . the 6v is unfortunately the standard (as previously stated, I am a Curry fan), but the Curry does mix n match well within a 6v line.. I wouldnt stray too far from using one of the v shaped cups... otherwise, you're highly likely to be the one 'sticking out'... and no one wants to be THAT guy....lol

and no one wants to be THAT guy....lol

Definitely.

... oh sh!!

maybe i'm the only one noob use Yamaha 14F4 which comes with my YMP201M ... :(

all of you use V cup?

i have to play both mellophone and trumpet, so i don't wish to use V cup ...

The 15F4 according to yamaha is a 'copy' of the Benge (Conn, King) mello 6. This piece is very similar to the 6V, except the cup is a bit sharper.

The 15F4 according to yamaha is a 'copy' of the Benge (Conn, King) mello 6. This piece is very similar to the 6V, except the cup is a bit sharper.

should be 14F4 === Benge mello 6

http://www.yamaha.com/band/accessories/mouthpiececomps.htm#

14F4 is 16.72 (4.30)

same as UMI Mello 6???

very different to 6V ??

i can't play high C above correctly ...

it's too thin over high C ...

201M problem / 14F4 problem / my problem?

The 14F4 is not a copy of the mello 6. The rim shapes are similar, but for starters, the 14F4 has a trumpet shank, and the mello 6s do not. The inner rim diameter of the 14F4 is also much larger than any of the Benge or UMI mello 6s.