mellophone mouthpieces

Penn State

I'm currently using a Conn mello 6 (same as the Benge, King, or old UMI mello 6). I am in need of a new mouthpiece and was wondering what others are using?

The Denis Wick tenor horn 2, came highly recommended from a pro mello player. True mello mouthpieces and tenor horn(alto horn) mouthpieces have the same cup and rim as the mello pieces, the tenor pieces have a slighlty larger shank, allowing them to fit in modern march mellos

One last thing, does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Bach 12 cornet piece and a Bach 12 mello piece? I have an old Vincent Bach Corp New York 12 piece and I'm unsure if its a mello or cornet piece.......thanks B)

Edited by Penn State

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently using a Conn mello 6 (same as the Benge, King, or old UMI mello 6). I am in need of a new mouthpiece and was wondering what others are using?

The Denis Wick tenor horn 2, came highly recommended from a pro mello player. True mello mouthpieces and tenor horn(alto horn) mouthpieces have the same cup and rim as the mello pieces, the tenor pieces have a slighlty larger shank, allowing them to fit in modern march mellos

One last thing, does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Bach 12 cornet piece and a Bach 12 mello piece? I have an old Vincent Bach Corp New York 12 piece and I'm unsure if its a mello or cornet piece.......thanks B)

------------------------------

About two years ago, on the reccomendation of several fello-mello's, I picked up the Curry T1F, and haven't looked back since. I would highly reccomend this piece; I believe Phantom's line uses these as well.

Rick Roberts

By shanks size, I'd say, Trumpet, Mello, Flugel, Cornet. As far as shank width size from largest to smallest.

I'm currently use a Kelly 6v, although I'll probably get a Kanstul 6v eventually. And maybe a Curry something or other. I have a bach mello 6, but the shank is too wrong, and the piece in general is too large for the horn. But a nice piece non-the-less. I'd like a stainless steel alternative, but mello seems the last priority for SS manufacturers. Fortunately it's not my main, so I can wait. I also have a Conn CKB 6 that's too small and shallow for most applications IMO.

I, too, play a Curry 1TF. I like the Curry line for two reasons. The first is that it combines power and tone (as far as I'm concerned). The second is that you can get the mouthpieces in different cup diameters, whereas most other mello mouthpieces only come in one size. If you want a smaller mouthpiece diameter, you can get a 5TF or a 7TF. You can also get a bigger one, moving up to a 3TF or even all the way up to a 1TF, depending on your preference.

I use either a Curry 5TF or a 1HTF, amazing mouthpieces, they are really comfortable on the chops, and also produce a really nice warm "fuzzy" tone, as opposed to the "edgy" like sound that most mello pieces create

I like the Kanstul Mello mouthpiece. Folks on here love the Curry, which I have not used. Another excellent mouthpiece (although a bit pricey) is the one that Cavies use.

Somebody help me out - what is the brand?

IYM Corp. Larry Kerchner M-1. You can find them on the Cavaliers website. Great, dark tone quality and good centering, hard to put much volume through the horn though due to the small bore.

If all else fails, keep with the mello 6, I love mine. Another option my roomate uses is using a cornet mouthpiece with adapter. I think he uses a Denis Wick but I'm not sure of the model, but it's big and deep to help fill out the sound.

I am currently using a GR 66FD, its a flugal horn moutpiece with an adapted trumpet shank. It fight in every trumpet I have ever tried, and It fits beautifully in my mellophones (both F and G)

It has a larger bore, but a very comfortable rim.

There are alot of sizes, so be careful which one to get. I had the luck to try out every size due to a dealer that I knew, I just picked the best suited.

Dont crack it till you try it, the overall tone got darker, and the overall depth of sound increased!

So anyway, I put my Kelly 3C trumpet clear in the same bag as my Kelly 6v mello clear. And ended up putting the 3C in the mellophone and playing for over an hour on it before I realized the reason things felt odd was because I wasn't using the 6v. And on that note I put my Bach 1C in the mellophone to see how it did. On the short term, they all played very similar.

The 6v actually has the darkest sound. The 3C had a similar sound, but was more challenging to play on. The 1C has the brightest sound. And the 1C played decently on the mellophone. Almost decent enough to consider using it as my mellophone mouthpiece. But I like the darker more mello sound of the 6v better.