4 mallet technique

flashofthunder

I'm a baritone player delving into the world of keyed percussion for the first time. I'm playing marimba for a new concert percussion ensemble that my school started. I'm a fairly proficient two mallet player so far, but I'm having a little trouble with 4 mallet.

First of all, my instructor is having us play four mallets with the inner mallets held normally between our thumb and index finger, and the outer mallets held between the middle and ring finger.

I hold my mallets in this way, with the outer mallets in the bottom of the "V" of my middle and ring finger. I've been attempting to stay as relaxed as possible while I play. However, after a few minutes of playing, it becomes pretty painful. Is this normal?

Also, a quick question: How would I play chords with different notes on different levels vertically, such as a Bb major chord? Would I twist my wrist so one mallet is raised higher than the other? Also, I'm having trouble getting my mallets closed down to the size of a major 2nd interval in one hand, and also in the changing of the mallet intervals. Any tips?

Thanks.

Sounds like you're playing Stevens grip. If I were you, I'd try to get a hold of Method of Movement for Marimba by Leigh Howard Stevens. It is the definitive book for that grip.

Your outer mallets should be gripped by the ring and pinky fingers only, with maybe 1/4" sticking out behind your pinky. This will hurt for a while until you've trained those muscles to be strong enough to hold the mallets.

As far as playing chords like you're talking about, it sounds like maybe your wrists aren't in the right position. When you hold the mallets in a neutral position, your thumbs should be on top and your palms should be vertical. If the mallets are not level when you do that (chances are the outer mallets will be lower for beginning players), don't rotate your wrists to adjust, rather, pull down with your pinky and ring fingers. When you want to put one mallet over the accidentals and one over the naturals, you have to do two things--to take care of the height difference, simply turn your wrist slightly one way or the other. To take care of the angle, use your elbows. When you play all four notes on the same register, you simply let your arms hang at your sides. When your outer mallets are on black keys and your inners are on white keys, kick your elbows out. For the other way around, pull them in.

Interval changes are as simple as using your thumb to "roll" the mallet across your index finger. When you do that though, be sure to pull your index finger back to keep your "perch" intact. In all but the largest intervals (octave or greater) you should be able to drive a pin through the center of your thumbnail, through the center of the mallet shaft, and through the middle of your outer (tipmost) knuckle of your index finger.

Still....get the book. You'll be glad you had it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Along with Tris' great advice, check out Gifford Howarth's Book, "Simply Four". I use that book in conjuction with MOM , Zeltsman's book, Buster Bailey's, and other materials I use when I teach. His cyber lessons can be found (and are included with his book) here : http://www.vicfirth.com/education/keyboard/howarth.html

Edited by los