italian girl hoping to start learning to play the snare

italiansnare

Hey to everybody,

i think and i hope to be in right place... :lol:

I'm an italian girl who love the percussion but in particular i love the snare, I saw a marching band last year that i went to the states and was love at first sight...i loved the percussion since i was a little girl but i never realized how much till last year...

So i logged in this forum, hoping to find some good people to chat with and maybe learn something...

so if u have any suggestion well i'm here waiting any information...

With what should i start? a real snare or just with a pad? which are the best sticks? anything...

well thanks to all

talk soon

Vero

Ps: my msn is down here if u wanna chat just add me and say hi

Hey to everybody,

i think and i hope to be in right place... :lol:

I'm an italian girl who love the percussion but in particular i love the snare, I saw a marching band last year that i went to the states and was love at first sight...i loved the percussion since i was a little girl but i never realized how much till last year...

So i logged in this forum, hoping to find some good people to chat with and maybe learn something...

so if u have any suggestion well i'm here waiting any information...

With what should i start? a real snare or just with a pad? which are the best sticks? anything...

well thanks to all

talk soon

Vero

Ps: my msn is down here if u wanna chat just add me and say hi

Hey Girl!

Good for you on goin for some snare.

The very best thing you can do is find a real teacher around and take lessons. Make sure you emphasize music reading and technique. Alot of guys "Teach" who dont really know the basics but can play a few beats. Ive taken on alot of students in the past who have already "Take lessons" and they cant read a single note of music. So look around online, at your local music store or even get in touch with your schools music people and see who you can find. Meanwhile, check this out

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/wessels_...er-lessons.html

This is a GREAT resource. The best advice i can give is to start slow. Learn everything completely and thoroughly before moving on. Alot of young people fall into a trap of tring to learn the "Cooler" stuff early and develop some bad habits. The best thing going for you right now is taht you have no bad habits. Dont get any!

I hope this helps! keep rockin

Tony Perez

Vic Firth Education Team

Looks like Tony gave you the site that I was thinking of. As far as percussion education rescourses on the internet, that Vic Firth site is the best I've found.

Start off by finding a good practice pad, you won't need your own drum unless you go professional and start gigging...but you're just starting out.

Yes a drumpad and sticks.

Here are some Pads I recomemend, the site I'm linking to is my personal favorite percussion supplier but I doubt that they ship over seas. . . however I'm sure you can find something similar over in Europe.

Remo 10" pad with rim

HQ single sided pad, no rim

Either way I highly suggest finding a pad that is single sided with a threaded insert on the back so you can mount it to a stand.

Here's a practice pad stand: Which the Remo pads fit onto. I think cymbal stands work for the other brands, but thats something you'll have to look into.

Here are some sticks I highly suggest starting off with:

Vic Firth SD1 Generals

Vic Firth 2B

Vic Firth SD2 Boleros

Just start off with one pair, get more as you develop your skills.

And if your school has a band program, JOIN IT! Activly playing in ensembles with other students is almost as beneficial as lessons too! Definitly find a percussion teacher in your area (paricularly one with a music degree, like Tony said).

I hope these resourses help you! GOOD LUCK and keep us updated! :D

Hey Vero - I'm probably 30 years older than you, and I've been taught by the best in the business and don't even PLAY anymore - but previous comments are right on - get a good teacher, rudimentals are fundamental, LISTEN to what you play and LEARN!

There's no such thing as a snare drummer who knew it all as a kid - but there's an awful lot who THINK they do - break the paradigm!