My thoughts on 'basics'

snarescience

Agree on the big three, but IMO the article doesn't touch enough on the different stroke mechanics that make these exercises important.

8 on a hand: legato stroke

8 & 4: legato-stacatto, accent-tap height control

Sanford: Double / triple bounce control.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on those areas in relation to the exercises. A good basic starting point though.

:)

Agree on the big three, but IMO the article doesn't touch enough on the different stroke mechanics that make these exercises important.

8 on a hand: legato stroke

8 & 4: legato-stacatto, accent-tap height control

Sanford: Double / triple bounce control.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on those areas in relation to the exercises. A good basic starting point though.

:)

Very good points. I updated the article with your suggested revisions. Thanks for the input!

That's quite a nice site you've put together. I just read through a couple of the other articles...what is your educational background, physics, mathematics?

That's quite a nice site you've put together. I just read through a couple of the other articles...what is your educational background, physics, mathematics?

Thanks! My education is in aerospace engineering - Perhaps we can nerd out together?

Haha, too funny. I was starting to think we were on the same page when reading about playing 8 on a hand against the atomic clock :P

I know I've gone a little deep into physics a couple times with my lines, whether it be about sound, tuning, stroke mechanics, or why the back of the equipment truck is always dirtier than the rest of the truck. They just get that glazed over look and I know it's time to run music again.

We should get a thread going with Tristan and have a real geek / physics drum talk, he's done some interesting stuff with different composite materials with applications to percussion instruments if I remember correctly.

When I teach, I try to get the students to envision their fingers as a spring holding the stick in their hand, kinda like those spring-whips. The approach you take dictates the "stiffness" of the spring. Snare stuff, for example, requires a looser spring than mallet playing, and I think the approach helps get rid of a really stiff-handed style of playing that leads to tendonitis.