Mellophone Pitch

CroWnSoPrAnO

I have to disagree with your statement about the Mello being more like the trumpet then a Horn (not French Horn... say that to anyone who is a member of the INTERNATIONAL HORN SOCIETY and they will flip out). To give some credit to this statement, I've been playing the HORN since 5th grade, went to college for music(on my Horn in F), played Mello in college, and now play with the Empire Statesmen on Mello. I also play my Horn in F professionally from time to time, and I am a High School Band Director.

1. The Mello is an alto voice... the HORN is an alto voice

2. The Mello is conical... the HORN is conical (trumpets are cylindrical... now if we are talking about soprano bugles, they are conical, and your arguement may have more bearing).

I do agree that the Mello should not be known as a marching "french" (shudders) Horn, and you are entitled to your opinion on what musician has the best Timbre on the instrument, but looks alone do not tell what an instrument truely is.

With respect,

Patrick

I have to agree here on most aspects here. (Actually, upon second reading of this I swear my name must be Patrick.....but its not) My two bits of advice for this whole mellophone thing are 1). Try to make it sound as much like a French Horn as possible (because we can all agree it is the most beautiful sound ever) and 2) make sure it projects because I'm sick of wussy mello players!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree here on most aspects here. (Actually, upon second reading of this I swear my name must be Patrick.....but its not) My two bits of advice for this whole mellophone thing are 1). Try to make it sound as much like a French Horn as possible (because we can all agree it is the most beautiful sound ever) and 2) make sure it projects because I'm sick of wussy mello players!

You are getting sleepy... very sleepy... when I snap my fingers you will know yourself as patrick... when i snap my fingers you will know youself as patr... ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

I would add in here something that I have not heard opined as of yet. I have recently starting to listening to quite a bit of tenor horn music (specifically, Sheona White). What I am taken with is how much closer the tenor horn is to our marching mellophone than a French horn is. I have actually moved myself away from using any of the stock mello mouthpieces and am trying to find a really good fit in an Alto/Tenor horn MP. Currently playing a Benge 6 Alto Horn MP and finding a very dark, rich full sound in the low to middle register. As I work it, the upper register is slotting in nicely as well.

Those are my $0.02,

Bob