Drum Breaks/Features

What type is the best to use  

71 members have voted

1. 1. During a drum feature which is better to use...

• Longer
    • Shorter

Hey Todd....Hows it going?

I guess winning is more important to more than I think......BUT think of it.....a corp just played a kick a-- first half of the show.....than somehow "Im not a drill inst" the drumline winds up on the 50......10 snares, 5 quints, 6 bass.......a full pit.......all looking at the drum major drooling and waiting for him/her to say mark time.....then bang a full drum solo a smoker being played, hands flying , expressions on the drummers faces say ....go ahead....find a mistake.....in your face drumming......snare feature, tenor feature, bass feature, heck even the cymbols get into the act.....pit playing off the charts.....everthing clicking, no tempo problems, crowd getting into it.....coming to the end and than what every drummer has been sweating for, getting blisters for, the endless rehearsals, sectionals, standing in the sun for............the crowd gets on their feet and you hear a roar that most of us will probably never hear again in our lives..........Dats what Im talking about.......and thats one of the little perks that Drum Corps gives each and everyone of us....past and present....

Hey Todd....Hows it going?

I guess winning is more important to more than I think......BUT think of it.....a corp just played a kick a-- first half of the show.....than somehow "Im not a drill inst" the drumline winds up on the 50......10 snares, 5 quints, 6 bass.......a full pit.......all looking at the drum major drooling and waiting for him/her to say mark time.....then bang a full drum solo a smoker being played, hands flying , expressions on the drummers faces say ....go ahead....find a mistake.....in your face drumming......snare feature, tenor feature, bass feature, heck even the cymbols get into the act.....pit playing off the charts.....everthing clicking, no tempo problems, crowd getting into it.....coming to the end and than what every drummer has been sweating for, getting blisters for, the endless rehearsals, sectionals, standing in the sun for............the crowd gets on their feet and you hear a roar that most of us will probably never hear again in our lives..........Dats what Im talking about.......and thats one of the little perks that Drum Corps gives each and everyone of us....past and present....

Bridgemen, anyone?

As a drummer, I really miss the longer, throw-down drum breaks. Honestly, though, they don't have a place on the score sheets - if they break the mood, GE goes down, and that's worth 4x more than percussion performance. :(

Mike

WOW!!!!

If that's the case, then that's too bad. I always thought, (yes I'm old school) one of the big, BIG things that made drumcorps far superior than marching band was the fact that world class drumming was showcased, (drum solo). Unfortunately with the advent of racing around, and being "musical" it has taken away something very special. I still think when the Cadets got the perfect drum score in 1987, but didn't play a solo. In fact, is there anywhere in the show that displays some constant championship/world class drumming. (Please don't come at me with the "musicality" argument.) It's a pity when there are talented lines out there, and all their chops are wasted on parking log exercises. One time around 5 years or so ago, a friend and I went to check out Santa Clara after the show. We talked to one of their drummers, (great people), and my friend remarked the same thing. We played the clock (from 75) for him, (it came out good, considering we were cold), and he really liked it. He said, "yeah, I wish we could play more, we see the old tapes, but we play what they write". Gotta go. We need more drum solos.