Playing a piece in the key of Eb with..

bbaritone_41

If you're playing a song written in treble clef for a Bb instrument, you will play a minor third above what is written, adding three flats (lots of practice with Tubachristmas). Now, if you want to play what is written on the Euphonium part on your G horn and make the piano player change keys, they would go down a minor third and remove three flats. In the end, the piano part would have one less flat than the G horn part.

So...

If the Bb Euph part is in Eb, then the piano part has 5 flats. Take five away and now it's in C for the piano player. I'm sure they won't be opposed to that friendly key. :P That's how I'd do it.

Edited by tubadon

"In the end, the piano part would have one less flat than the G horn part."

No matter what you do, that is definately the test.

G baritone up a minor 3rd +3 flats (You play in Gb, first note is a Bb)

Piano as written (Db)

or

G baritoen as written (You play in Eb)

Piano down a minor 3rd -3 flats (Piano plays in Bb, first chord is g minor)

Isn't transposing fun?

So did I did it correct from what you saw in the piece? Is it alright?

If you're playing a song written in treble clef for a Bb instrument, you will play a minor third above what is written, adding three flats (lots of practice with Tubachristmas). Now, if you want to play what is written on the Euphonium part on your G horn and make the piano player change keys, they would go down a minor third and remove three flats. In the end, the piano part would have one less flat than the G horn part.

So...

If the Bb Euph part is in Eb, then the piano part has 5 flats. Take five away and now it's in C for the piano player. I'm sure they won't be opposed to that friendly key. :P That's how I'd do it.

Are Bb baritones transposing instruments? How about tubas? I thought that Bb tubas sounded the same sounds, (in a different octave, obviously), per fingering used, as a Bb trumpet, but they are non transposing so they read concert pitch, but play and finger the notes one step above a Bb transposing trumpet.

So that if a Bb trumpet wanted to play a low concert C he would finger and play the valves 1+3 or trumpet D. And if the Bb tuba wanted to play a concert C he would finger valves 1+3 or Bb tuba C. I thought Bb baris were the same.

Are Bb baritones transposing instruments?

It depends on what you mean by transposing. Baritones read both Bass Clef(written C sounds a C) and Bb Treble Clef (written C sounds a Bb). And probably many other exceptions to these norms. The textbook answer of sorts, is that if you play the pitch of the written note, then you're not transposing. So yes and no.

It depends on what you mean by transposing. Baritones read both Bass Clef(written C sounds a C) and Bb Treble Clef (written C sounds a Bb). And probably many other exceptions to these norms. The textbook answer of sorts, is that if you play the pitch of the written note, then you're not transposing. So yes and no.

I thought that a transposing instrument was any instrument that had music written for it that was "transposed" from concert pitch to the pitch or key of the instrument. Such as a trumpet, (any key), clarinet, saxophone, French horn, etc.

A non transposing instrument was one where the music is written, read, and sounded in concert pitch. Such as piano, tuba, trombone, violin, etc.

I didn't know that a Bb baritone reads concert pitch when playing bass clef and plays in Bb when reading treble clef.

Seems needlessly confusing to do it that way...but that's just me. :)

Isn't transposing fun?

Yeah it is! I think :P

You need the piano part down one more half step with 2 flats instead of 7.

ok.. :worthy: