Pioneer concert

My nephew is starting his drum corps career with Racine and I got the chance to watch Pioneer…..

Guard was featured first. There seems to be quite a few more than last year. Definitely some strong performers in their guard.

Percussion section was great. Their feature was Dark Tide from Gangs of New York. Snare section was real impressive. Overall percussion definitely shined at the concert.

The corps played through selections of their show. The opening tune had some very nice moments but needs a few more horns to really pull it off. I was real impressed with the fact that Pioneer is trying some jazz out. It was definitely an Irish song…. Rakes of Mallow….had a nice jazz feel to it and then closed the piece with a fast traditional Rakes.

I thought I heard someone say that Larry Kerchner was arranging the hornline book. (correct me if Im wrong) A lot of fine moments by all of Pioneer.

Look forward to seeing what happens with them this summer. Hopefully they can put a few more numbers in the hornline. If they do, I think it will be a good summer for them.

Good Luck Pioneer!

i'd love to hear a strong G hornline, hope they can pull one together and have a successful season.

I thought I heard someone say that Larry Kerchner was arranging the hornline book. (correct me if Im wrong) A lot of fine moments by all of Pioneer.

Look forward to seeing what happens with them this summer. Hopefully they can put a few more numbers in the hornline. If they do, I think it will be a good summer for them.

Good Luck Pioneer!

Yes, Mr Kerchner is doing the arranging, and he is awesome to work with. He's really amazing. And we do have around twice as many horns as last camp, many of us (myself included) had to miss camp because of prior commitment to our band back home and other things. It's looking to be a pretty awesome show from my point of view.

Hey DCI89DM, just wanted to say I listened to the Racine Scouts from the hallway, and that they sure do put out a good sound for such a small group! Good luck to your nephew this summer, hope he has a blast! Thanks for the compliments too :-).