Bushwackers: Weekend Review

rotate-old.gif

Bushwackers Update!

5/1/2007

Franklin, NJ

April 28 and 29th marked the return of the defending world champion Bushwackers colorguard! The guard broke in our new outdoor, grass field in the corps' new home of Franklin, NJ and set right to work on technique and show work/choreography. We didn't think it was possible, but this year's guard looks even better than last season! Many new and talented people came out, and the returning vets were ready for anything. The staff has set the bar high this year, and the guard intends to exceed their expectations.

Bob Kidd, our assistant director, said, "For me, one of the best moments of the weekend was welcoming back the color guard. Drum corps isn't drum corps until the guard is back at rehearsals – welcoming back the defending DCA champion color guard raised our first weekend outside to the next level."

Very true.

The horn line and drum line spent Saturday inside at Sparta High School refining the music, learning changes, and checking on memorization. On Sunday, the full corps met at the Franklin Elementary School field for our first drill learning session of the year. The members were anxious to get started. We already knew that we had a superbly coordinated musical program, and the drill did not disappoint! It became obvious right away that this was a challenging, but also a satisfying and entertaining program. The corps learned all of "Lonely Town", and was able to ensemble music, drill, and guard work.

Steve Rinda had this to say; "I was excited to get outside and learn drill for the first time this season. The corps did a great job handling the drill and by the end of the day they looked and sounded great. A great start to another season!"

And a great start it was! Many members were heard "hyping" about the show, and the positive, productive rehearsal that the staff ran. Brass caption head Joe Exley, guard caption head Scott Marshman, and new percussion caption head Bob Cizmarik were all pleased with the state of their respective sections. Everyone is looking forward to the summer.

The corps' next rehearsal will be held this Saturday, May 5th at 10am at the Franklin Elementary School field. Click here for directions. This is a BRASS and PERCUSSION ONLY rehearsal, due to Wildwood indoor championships. The corps will also be traveling to New York City (the subject of our 2007 production "Around the Town") to perform in the annual Israeli Day Parade. All are invited to attend.

The Bushwackers are the six time DCA world champions, a top 3 finalist each of the last 2 seasons, and the defending brass and colorguard champions. The corps is still accepting members in all sections. If you have the desire, YOU can be a Bushwacker. Just come out to a rehearsal, go to www.bushwackers.org, or email us at membership@bushwackers.org for more details on how to have the best summer of your life!

Edited by DMCK

I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't seem like the drum corps season until we get outside. :)

It was great seeing everyone this weekend, especially the guard, love the work you have already! Also I love the new facility, I don't think we've ever had a grass field as our main rehearsal field. The neighbors continue to be really great and the Franklin mayor really likes the show already, can't wait for him to see the finished product.

Just to clarify something, because it wasn't in my original post (although it's there now)...this is a brass and percussion only rehearsal. Most of the guard is participating in the TIDA indoor championships in Wildwood this weekend. They will rejoin us next weekend.

Good luck to all the Bushwackers competing in Wildwood. Bring home some hardware!!!

The corps will be "around the town" this Sunday!! Come see the Bushwackers in NYC.

Bush...

Have a great weekend working on more drill and music and marching in the Israeli Day Parade! It looks like the weather is going to be great.