DCI and McDonalds

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think maybe a year or so ago I watched a special about Willie Nelsons Tour. I believe his bus ran on bio-diesal. He was also trying to promote the use for farmers. I could be wrong though.

1. The engine uses vegetable oil as a lubricant - change recommended at 30,000 miles (no combustion by-products to contaminate the oil).

So we can stop using fossil fuels and get rid of farm subsidies at the same time? I'll buy that!

On mythbusters a while ago, Jayme and Adam proved that used cooking oil that places like McDonalds and Burger King throw out DAILY can power a diesel engine, after quick refinement that is relatively easy to do.

With gas climbing, and corps fees rising as a result, would it be possible to pick up fast food chains as sponsors just to give us oil that they just throw out anyway? It seems extremely practical to me... free fuel.

~>conner

Actually Mcdonalds already is, however, they sponsor everything.

While we're on topic isnt it ironic that DCI, the activity that is on the cutting edge of fitness, is sponsored by the most unhealthy food joint around?

Sorry to say that McDonalds cooking oil is so poor it won't work for biodiesal. Also, the refinement process is messy and hard to do, especially for the hundreds of gallons a corps needs to fill up a convoy. No way could you do it on the road.

We need some hybrid buses soon, and not to far in the future are air powered cars, yes I said AIR POWERED. One is coming out in Europe this year and should be in the states in a few years. MDI Air Powered Car

I love drumcorps, but one of my other passions is saving the planet. Too bad corps use hundreds of cups and plates daily, such a waste. Gas is the least of their problems. Nothing makes me sicker than seeing a corps leave a housing site 30 bags of trash for a two day stay.

My husband has figured out a way to use straight oil (filtered of course) with a duel tank system. Basically it uses a little bit of diesel to warm up the oil and then acctualy runs on the oil. He used it in an old diesel pick-up he liked to play around in. He eventually blew the engine in that truck by driving through water that was too deep. Water doesn't compress well.