1970 Brookhaven Crusaders - future Crossmen and former Fawns.

I found old scrapbooks a few months ago while cleaning.

Edit: We went to Butler in 1971 and 1972. This is what I wrote in my scrapbook:

"August 1, 1971. Butler, Pennsylvania. Hosted by General Butler Vagabonds. We were billeted overnight at houses of members of the Vagabonds. They were very nice. I stayed at Janet Haller’s house with 10 other girls from Scarborough Firefighters."

We were also billeted in Watkins Glen, New York in the early 1970's. Appreciated a warm house and home cooked meal. Many thanks to the families that welcomed us.

The competing corps for the 1972 contest were (as stated in the program) Vanguards, Marion Cadets, Scarborough Princemen, Queen City Cadets, Chessmen, Cambria Cadets, Royal Crusaders. In exhibition, Vagabond Cadets and General Butler Vagabonds. I believe the tradition was that the host corps would not compete, just perform in exhibition.

1972-Butler-cover.jpg

Edited by lindap

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the Chessmen from page 1? If yes, I'll keep this scan on DCP. If not, let me know. Thanks.

1972-Chessmen.jpg

That's probably them. I think their colors were red and white. They were a good corps, the same level as the junior corps I marched in, (although they'd been fighting words back then) :)

1972 was the beginning of the end for Brookhaven and we didn't take the field in 1972.

Thanks for your response Martybucs. I grew up in Southern Ontario and we had our own circuit but would often visit New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio. The only other corps in the program that have pictures that could be scanned are Des Plaines Vanguard, Cambria Cadets and Queen City Cadets. The other pictures are too faded or dark. Thanks again.

Edited: Changed De Plaines Vanguard to Des Plaines Vanguard. :unsure:

Edited by lindap

Thanks for your response Martybucs. I grew up in Southern Ontario and we had our own circuit but would often visit New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio. The only other corps in the program that have pictures that could be scanned are De Plaines Vanguard, Cambria Cadets and Queen City Cadets. The other pictures are too faded or dark. Thanks again.

No problem.

It's funny. About a month ago I unearthed, in our basement, a box filled with old programs and Drum Corps Digest from my junior corps years. I meant to sit down and look at it, but there's never enough time.

My uncle and his family used to live in Port Credit. He was a VP at Ford Motor Co. After many years we were going to plan a vacation and visit. My sister and I looked forward to finally seeing Canada. By summer he had been transferred to Louisville, KY. We went to KY instead. Very nice, but very HOT!

Cambria Cadets were pretty decent also. I guessing if it was a contest between those corps, Vanguard won handily.

Did you get a chance to check out the video of Brookhaven? Whatcha think?

Did you get a chance to check out the video of Brookhaven? Whatcha think?

Yes, I watched the videos. Good drill for the time, I think. It's a long time ago. I remember marching this style 'cause I joined drum corps in the fall of 1968. Our lines were a little crooked.

I was flag guard and remember having the horn line connect elbows with me while holding my heavy flagpole that was in a pouch (thank goodness). In a good gale, the sopranos on either side of me kept me from blowing away in the wind. There were benefits of marching that way. :)

Edit: To see the video, to read of the history of Brookhaven was a trigger of good memories of my start in drum corps and an effective method of showing history. Thank you for helping preserve our history.

Edited by lindap

That's probably them. I think their colors were red and white. They were a good corps, the same level as the junior corps I marched in, (although they'd been fighting words back then) :)

1972 was the beginning of the end for Brookhaven and we didn't take the field in 1972.

That is indeed the Chessmen from page 1. The original uniforms were red and white, but these are the newest and last uniforms the corps ever wore until it folded in 1977, which were yellow with a red diagonal stripe, red shako with black trim, and yellow plume.

Great pic, thanks for posting that!

• 9 months later...
Yes, I watched the videos. Good drill for the time, I think. It's a long time ago. I remember marching this style 'cause I joined drum corps in the fall of 1968. Our lines were a little crooked.

I was flag guard and remember having the horn line connect elbows with me while holding my heavy flagpole that was in a pouch (thank goodness). In a good gale, the sopranos on either side of me kept me from blowing away in the wind. There were benefits of marching that way. :)

Edit: To see the video, to read of the history of Brookhaven was a trigger of good memories of my start in drum corps and an effective method of showing history. Thank you for helping preserve our history.

Credit for this goes to the Haas family for making the video and their generosity for allowing me to post it on my site.

Here's some old B&W movie of the junior corps I marched with in 1964 to 1975, (it's presented in two parts; OTL to color presentation/concert number to exit number). This is from the 1970 Eastern States Circuit Championship, which we won. It was in Glenolden, PA. This is some interesting history because there were literally thousands of this type of corps carpeting the US, mostly in the NE and Midwest.

It is a classic military, "elevator" drill, with ranks and wheels and pivots and company fronts, etc. The horns are all piston/slide except for the lone contra and two mellophones. The next year we moved up to piston/rotor for the entire hornline. Most of the big corps, the top 12, as it were had abandoned this type of show by 1970, but it was still the mainstay of most corps. We had 30 horns and you count the drums.

Another interesting thing about this video is, that on the field is most of the nucleus that would become the Keystone Regiment that later merged with 507 Hornets to become the Crossmen. Also, the corps was marching with many former Media Fawns, an all girl corps from Media, PA, that had disbanded the previous year.

Ray Eyler was the Horn Arranger/Instructor. Joe Marello was the Drum Arranger/Instructor. Al Lucia was the Drill Designer/Instructor. Rich Lucia was DM. I forget who was Guard Captain, I'll have to look that up.

The littlest snare drummer is Thom Hannum of Vic Firth and UofMA fame. Ted Brehoney is the Mellophone Soloist and Bob Hannum, (Thom's older brother), is the soprano soloist. I was his backup. Doug Stemet was the other mellophone. I could name more, but I'm getting long here.

Finally, The horns were all Getzen except for the contra bass and Mellophones which were Olds Ultratones. The drums were Ludwig, I believe.

The guard used steel poles with chrome plated brass spikes screwed on the end. The flags were sewn satin and they used belt cups to support them. Very heavy. The rifles were modified Army Carbines, (non-firing) oak stock, steel bolt action and barrel, also heavy.

Hope you enjoy this little bit of my childhood. EDIT: because of comments about the quality, I reloaded the movies as mpv.4 and they're definitely better, but not by much. It reset the view counter, also. The previous WMV versions had over 300 views and some nice comments.

Recently got in contact with the guard captain for that year. A new member here on DCP.

At least she thinks she was guard captain that year, and I do believe she is correct and she was formerly our drum major.

Her name at the time was Karen Fluck (pronounced fluke).

Speaking of future Crossmen...

I was going through some old drum corps things from Brookhaven and one was a recording of the Crusaders from 1969 AL championships and the announcer saying,

"...representing Post 507, from the south eastern part of the state, the Brookhaven Crusaders."

Pre 507 Hornets? I don't know.