Drum Corps: What a Blast

and possibly lisa in the guard. You can see D-Rod in one of the group shots. Seeing everyone totally made me smile down here since I did not get back for Drum Beauty or DOP in Madison.

Edited by renthead09

My only nitpick about the article is that while it talks about MBI, Chops and Govies as all-age corps, it doesn't mention DCA. But overall, it's well done.

Article: Drum Corps: What a Blast

That was intentional. I didn't want to confuse mainstream readers by introducing a new acronym (DCI vs. DCA). I did note in the article that the all-ages corps have their own world championships (listed the city and date) and left it at that--good enough for neophytes. Also, I had much more info to include in the article, but I had to cut it short because of space limitations in the physical newspaper.

I am not related to Sal Salas. I did play lead baritone with Suncoast Sound in 1983 and 1985 (two of the greatest horn lines those years), so this probably marks the rare time when someone who is "one of you" has written an article about drum corps for the mainstream media.

If you read the article, be sure to click on the link for the sidebar, "On the road again," in which I talked to the Scouts about what a typical day on tour is like, which I hope was illuminating for readers who don't know much about the activity.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. Interest in the article has made it one of the top 5-emailed stories on the Star Tribune's website.

Randy