How to get enough money for a drum corp?

dudebandnerd

Yes I was in the AMB and I know the kids that are in brigs and they enjoy it. I dont know if I would as much. I also know your friend and have talked to him a little, but won't get to talk with him more until his season is over. He recommended that I do a DCA corp, but i decided not because of time and money(although it is less then crown). Thanks for the suggestion.

if you really are looking for a deal, try the Sound of Philadelphia, a starter corps with use of professional facilities and, best of all, a great tour fee.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have marched for four years in a very competitive marching band and i know it doesn't compare with DCI, but I was told by my director that if I didn't go into a top DCI corp that I might not get the full challenge and experience that i was looking for. He (and I) just want me to be able to push myself to my highest potential. Weather it be playing with constant and good tone quality while doing a jazz run down the field or playing a tricky run before an impact I want to be able to have the challenge put in front of me so that when i look back at my time in a corps that i can say to myself "I could not done anything else better, I did my best".

I will go to Crown this year and audition, but if i dont have enough money or dont make it, i dont think that a DCA corp is for me or even another DCI corp.

Check this site out.

http://www.pullanthropy.com

Do some odd jobs like clean gutters and stuff.

Walk peoples dogs.

Give horn lessons to HighSchrool kids. Be creative.

If you don't make Crown it's all over? That would be the biggest mistake next to not marching your age out year.

If you like Crown then you would probably like Phantom and the Cadets.

You can't tell me it wouldn't be fun Playing for Boston.

Don't put all those eggs in one basket.

Check this site out.

http://www.pullanthropy.com

Do some odd jobs like clean gutters and stuff.

Walk peoples dogs.

Give horn lessons to HighSchrool kids. Be creative.

If you don't make Crown it's all over? That would be the biggest mistake next to not marching your age out year.

If you like Crown then you would probably like Phantom and the Cadets.

You can't tell me it wouldn't be fun Playing for Boston.

Don't put all those eggs in one basket.

thank you that was one of the things i was looking for. thanks for the help.

Dude, if you're going to SUNY Plattsburgh you have a definite challenge in getting to Crown's weekend camps. How the heck are you going to find air transportation close enough to school that you don't have to drive six hours to get to a US airport? Go to Montreal? If I were you, I'd be looking at Brigs or some other DCA corps. Get some drum corps experience, then decide if you want to commit to a whole summer of constant pressure.

Dude, if you're going to SUNY Plattsburgh you have a definite challenge in getting to Crown's weekend camps. How the heck are you going to find air transportation close enough to school that you don't have to drive six hours to get to a US airport? Go to Montreal? If I were you, I'd be looking at Brigs or some other DCA corps. Get some drum corps experience, then decide if you want to commit to a whole summer of constant pressure.

I had forgotten that i was in the middle of nowhere but figured out that i can get a ride to albany and fly out from there.

I had forgotten that i was in the middle of nowhere but figured out that i can get a ride to albany and fly out from there.

and how much would that cost?

I know some folks who made a good amount of money by playing in a small ensemble for weddings, greek fraternity/sorority house events, local community clubs and holiday events. The even played at restaurants. A couple of them gave 3-4 lessons per week for $50.00 an hour and in the Fall helped out the local marching band for some money. Which btw helped them bring in the private lessons.

Use what you have available to generate funds. Use your talents and support system which includes high calibre drum and bugle corps in your area. I'm here in Tampa, and all the time drum corps are coming from far and event further to get talent because local talent wants to go elsewhere. Identify what it is you want to get out of a drum corps experience and then look at how you can accomplish that. I could be incorrect, but as I understand it a lot of top tier world class corps look for marching experience and consider that together with playing talent. That shows them you can learn at the rate they need you to.

Some people audition and make a world class corps and find that it is not what they want even after feeling very strongly "this is what I want." My suggestion would be audition for at least one regional drum corps (DCA or DCI) and Carolina Crown. If you really want to march and experience drum corps from the field level you'll march where you make the cut. Like an earlier post suggested, every drum corps is going to push you. But regardless, it can be a great experience for you.

Best of luck!

William

There are ways to come up with the money. It's all choices.

You could try for one of the school work programs. Those work around your schedule. And doesn't require you to spends hours in route daily without pay. Sure it's only a half hour to work if you work off campus, but that's 1 hour round trip, 5x's a week, 52 weeks a year. 260 hours traveling without pay (barring traffic / construction / and other delays). 260 x $5 == $1,300. Not to mention the other costs of doing that traveling. Burger King everyday, or monster bag of rice / potatos for months on end. It's all choices, what's important to you?

Not that it's completely honest, but you don't have to tell your prospective employer how long you intend to work for them. It's not like they're going to give you that much notice when they stop employing you. Besides, some occupations don't like employees with goals / ambition. It doesn't mean you shouldn't have them. But maybe don't be so upfront about them, it's not what they want to hear.

Not that it's completely honest, but you don't have to tell your prospective employer how long you intend to work for them. It's not like they're going to give you that much notice when they stop employing you. Besides, some occupations don't like employees with goals / ambition. It doesn't mean you shouldn't have them. But maybe don't be so upfront about them, it's not what they want to hear.

In this job market, the last thing I want to see on an employment app or resume is a string of 3 month jobs. There are just too many people looking right now for me to think about hiring someone who might leave two weeks after they finish training.

Okay, let's figure this out...

Plattsburg to Albany (airport) is about a three hour drive. Need to arrive two hours before flight for security. I doubt you'll get a direct flight, so plan at least an hour layover somewhere. You will have to leave on Friday early a.m. in order to get there for a Friday night start. Coming back is probably worse.

I admire your ambition and desire, but I really doubt that you can make this work given your school choice.