Something about The Cadets you may never have known

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

I've attended shows hosted by Cadets and have sat in Cadet blocks in Atlanta and Allentown and I will have to say the loyalty and love of the corps is palpable. There were a few alums in Allentown who were less than thrilled about uniform changes in 2015 and made their feelings known, but even then there was love for the corps. Part of it is probably the drum corps experience. I am a die hard fan and I know my history, stats, repertoires, etc better than more than a few who marched, but I never marched so I do not know the joys and disappointments of DCI competition, what it is like to be in finals, the tour experience, or the lifelong bond. As an outsider looking in, it has to create a certain sentiment that cannot be matched or taken away. It also has to be nurtured. In 2012 I attended the last TOC show Cadets hosted at MetLife Stadium. There was a two hour rain delay and I was probably the only non Cadet in the section where I waited for the rain to stop. No one cared that the show was delayed. It was like a family reunion. Volunteers were also walking around, asking people to be patient, and thanked them for attending the show. One asked when I when I marched, and when I said I never marched, I was asked what my favorite Cadets show was (1980) and was introduced to someone who marched that year. If I had been a Cadet who had been away for a while, I would have been reconnected with the corps. Perhaps I would have been hit up for a donation too, but that's another story.  

I know Boston Crusaders does an excellent job at connecting alums and marching members and works at making everyone feel like family at home shows. When Madison celebrated 75 years in 2013 and alums stood up in Indy and sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" it was amazing. Cavies seems to have this loyalty as well. 

In short, I think the experience creates the bond and loyalty, but often it is nurtured by the corps. 

That's usually the best part about coming back "home". Sometimes, even if you do not have your own family attending the shows, the alum usually make a marcher feel like his or her family is there. I've always looked forward to the home shows at Cadets specifically for that reason.

• Like 2