Information About York 75

BeachDrums

Hi all. It's the guy that knows precious little about trumpets, again. Currently, there's an ad in the local paper about a York 75 trumpet. Do you know anything about them?

Also, and this should confirm my ignorance, how does one know if a horn is Bb, G, Eb or whatever? Is there a marking somewhere on the instrument itself?

And finally, are there some trumpet manufacturers/models that are basically, well, . . . any that even a beginner would be disappointed with. You know, way below the quality mark? I know many of you will say "It's not the instrument, it's the person playing it." But, if you had the choice between a B1 or a Bundy? . . . well. . . I think you understand my question.

Okay, after you stop laughing, I'd appreciate responses. Thank you.

Ask a bored librarian on a Saturday afternoon...

J. W. York & Sons was an instrument manufacturer out of Grand Rapids Michigan.

Here is a web site with some more information about them:

JW York & Sons Information

It will possibly be an older instrument. York was known for their cornets and tubas, but I have done some research on them because I have an antique trombone that they maufactured. It's more a display piece than a functional horn. Serial number 51380, professional model. was played in the 1920's by my great uncle.

Oddly enough I found this info while looking through the serial number list

238841 (York)  valve trombone

Bell engraving has "York" and "75" in the design. "Olds" and the serial number are stamped on the second valve casing. Instrument has a 7.5 inch bell and a .450 bore.

And some info on the history of York:

A Brief History of York

(from Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind, by Brian Frederiksen, edited by John Taylor. Gurnee, Illinois: Windsong Press, Ltd., 1996 (used by permission))

James Warren York was born on November 24, 1839 in Exeter, New Hampshire. He first worked for the Boston Musical Instrument Manufactory, and in 1882 moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he first played in a musical pit. He then owned his instrument manufacturing company until his retirement to California in 1917. He died in Los Angeles on February 9, 1927.York manufactured a full line of brass instruments, both under its own name and proprietary brand names.

York briefly participated in two partnerships, Smith and York (1883) and York and Holton (1885). In 1884 the company was known as J.W. York and Company. In recognition of his infant son, Charles E. York, he renamed the company York and Son in 1887.

York further changed the company name to York and Sons in 1898 to include his other son, Frank W. York. Both sons were active with the company until about 1913.In 1897, Alfred J. "Bill" Johnson became the company's foreman. In 1913, Johnson, along with John and James Duffy, formed a stockholding company, and when the York family relinquished all interest in 1926, Johnson became a co-owner. The company was then known as the York Band Instrument Company.

In December, 1940, York was sold to Carl Fischer Musical Instruments and Johnson left the company. During World War II the company manufactured munitions. After the war, York produced student-line instruments.In 1971, Tolchin Instrument Company, who then owned York, closed the factory. Proprietary rights were ultimately purchased in 1976 by Boosey and Hawkes.

I'll leave the trumpet specific questions up to the pros .

Wow! Thanks for the information, Librarian Sara! That was kind of you; and you're even from NYC, I assume. There goes another stereotype.