Mini Corps Review

Ghost Riders show is up in two segments on the unnamed website that has videos. It is sensational. The arrangement of the opener...the percussion...the solo performances... "Happy Trails"...made for an awesome presentation. I had em second, and definitely belonging on the stage with the very best.

The Joe and Vinnie show was pretty solid, too. There's a video of MCL on the unnamed website that has videos. MacArthur park was great...and then got greater when the surprise sop soloist not named Cieselski stepped to the front. Where have they been hiding that guy? It was a different flavor from the other three, and the audience just ate it up.

Golden Eagles...what can you say? The sheer number of awesome players stepping out individually or to do a two or three person vignette...the low brass just hauling the mail...the movement (not enough credit given here, IMO)...the SHOW! And waves of applause...for every soloist, for every strong finish. Just awesome. I always give props to Frank Ponzo because he is so recognizable as a member of GE. And there's no doubt that he brings the spicy mustard to the set. But he is so humble and always deflects the praise to others because he wants to make sure they are all recognized equally. And he's right...these guys ALL leave everything on the table. To a man you could tell that they had nothing left after the show, because they left it all out there...like Jimmy Russo taught them..."for YOU!"

Star has a link on their website to "Goin Home" and the first Sullivan piece. When you watch that thing, look at the content...it isn't just music...it is marching and theatre performed to the absolute max. Think about the preparation that goes into that kind of performance...and the only reason they do it is to bring it to dca. Their performance opportunities are so limited, yet they get together with that practice schedule and put in the time and effort to do this "mini corps thing" to the highest level. I'm here to tell you that Star makes Ghost Riders and Golden Eagles better. Chasing the best brings out the best in anyone.

And you can't fake the response that the corps were given. Spontaneous standing o's at different parts of the show...appreciation for talent and effort...effect that pours over you where you cant help but leap from your seat....that is my kind of entertainment.

Think about, too, what Gil and Dick and the dca people provide for the fans and the corps....a free night of entertainment at a World Class facility...the Rochester Riverside Convention Center hosts Kodak, the University of Rochester Medical seminars, nearly every major east coast business or festival...the street...MAIN STREET...is closed for US!...and there is 5 hours of entertainment given as a gift from dca and from the players and corps themselves.

Quick props to the facility manager at Riverside. When Star set up on the loading dock after the show to do their very special and almost secret run through, he had a job to do...he had to get the place closed as it was approaching 11pm. Even though his staff was going into OVERTIME and he was chasing others out of the building, he spoke for just a minute with Becky and Josh, and with an understanding look and a smile on his face, let the show go on. That might not have seemed like that big a deal, as we often believe others should march to our drum when we roll into town, but it probably led to him getting a talking-to from his superiors the next day. He might never know just how important his gesture was, but the following note lets me know that we owe him a "thank you."

From the Star United website:

A Moving Encounter at 2009 DCA

Star United Drum Major Becky Saddlemire offered a moving story on the Star Alumni site that is presented below in her own words:

A very kind older man came up to me at the run thru at Victor High School. He shared that his wife loved our corps and that she would be coming to the show on Friday night. He proceeded to share that she is very sick with cancer and most likely this would be her last drum corps/DCA event. At the show on Friday, I found both of them, with their daughter....tears in their eyes after our performance. They hugged me, said thank you and followed us out for the encore. When our evening came to a close, the man's dear wife came to me and said, "When You Wish is a blessing and the way you play it is amazing....please remember that in this life you will never know just how far your influence goes."

Of course, I cried with her...very proud to be a part of this group.

Edited by wishbonecav

Ghost Riders show is up in two segments on the unnamed website that has videos. It is sensational. The arrangement of the opener...the percussion...the solo performances... "Happy Trails"...made for an awesome presentation. I had em second, and definitely belonging on the stage with the very best.

The Joe and Vinnie show was pretty solid, too. There's a video of MCL on the unnamed website that has videos. MacArthur park was great...and then got greater when the surprise sop soloist not named Cieselski stepped to the front. Where have they been hiding that guy? It was a different flavor from the other three, and the audience just ate it up.

Golden Eagles...what can you say? The sheer number of awesome players stepping out individually or to do a two or three person vignette...the low brass just hauling the mail...the movement (not enough credit given here, IMO)...the SHOW! And waves of applause...for every soloist, for every strong finish. Just awesome. I always give props to Frank Ponzo because he is so recognizable as a member of GE. And there's no doubt that he brings the spicy mustard to the set. But he is so humble and always deflects the praise to others because he wants to make sure they are all recognized equally. And he's right...these guys ALL leave everything on the table. To a man you could tell that they had nothing left after the show, because they left it all out there...like Jimmy Russo taught them..."for YOU!"

Star has a link on their website to "Goin Home" and the first Sullivan piece. When you watch that thing, look at the content...it isn't just music...it is marching and theatre performed to the absolute max. Think about the preparation that goes into that kind of performance...and the only reason they do it is to bring it to dca. Their performance opportunities are so limited, yet they get together with that practice schedule and put in the time and effort to do this "mini corps thing" to the highest level. I'm here to tell you that Star makes Ghost Riders and Golden Eagles better. Chasing the best brings out the best in anyone.

And you can't fake the response that the corps were given. Spontaneous standing o's at different parts of the show...appreciation for talent and effort...effect that pours over you where you cant help but leap from your seat....that is my kind of entertainment.

Think about, too, what Gil and Dick and the dca people provide for the fans and the corps....a free night of entertainment at a World Class facility...the Rochester Riverside Convention Center hosts Kodak, the University of Rochester Medical seminars, nearly every major east coast business or festival...the street...MAIN STREET...is closed for US!...and there is 5 hours of entertainment given as a gift from dca and from the players and corps themselves.

Quick props to the facility manager at Riverside. When Star set up on the loading dock after the show to do their very special and almost secret run through, he had a job to do...he had to get the place closed as it was approaching 11pm. Even though his staff was going into OVERTIME and he was chasing others out of the building, he spoke for just a minute with Becky and Josh, and with an understanding look and a smile on his face, let the show go on. That might not have seemed like that big a deal, as we often believe others should march to our drum when we roll into town, but it probably led to him getting a talking-to from his superiors the next day. He might never know just how important his gesture was, but the following note lets me know that we owe him a "thank you."

From the Star United website:

A Moving Encounter at 2009 DCA

Star United Drum Major Becky Saddlemire offered a moving story on the Star Alumni site that is presented below in her own words:

A very kind older man came up to me at the run thru at Victor High School. He shared that his wife loved our corps and that she would be coming to the show on Friday night. He proceeded to share that she is very sick with cancer and most likely this would be her last drum corps/DCA event. At the show on Friday, I found both of them, with their daughter....tears in their eyes after our performance. They hugged me, said thank you and followed us out for the encore. When our evening came to a close, the man's dear wife came to me and said, "When You Wish is a blessing and the way you play it is amazing....please remember that in this life you will never know just how far your influence goes."

Of course, I cried with her...very proud to be a part of this group.

Wow, It's ashame Mass Brass didn't show up, I could of swore they were there!

Wow, It's ashame Mass Brass didn't show up, I could of swore they were there!

Sorry fellas. I missed a bunch of the other guys, too. Next year, I'll try to hit em all.