Crown's Brassline...What's Holding Their Scores Back?

***First let me put in a disclaimer that I'm a huge Crown homer.***

For those of you who have seen Crown at a show or even listened to an APD can you tell me why it seems their brassline is their weak link this year as far as scores are concerned? NeutralNovices spreadsheet vividly shows the "lag."

Are they just playing music that's a little over their head that will take a little while longer to clean or are they executing the music well but their music is just too easy compared to the lines scoring ahead of them?

I'm hoping it's the former so that they'll have ample room to grow as the season progresses. I'm very happy about the progress of the drumline, but I was actually expecting their hornline to be competing at the level the drumline currently is. From all reviews I've read on here, it sounds like their hornline is terrific this year. I'm just trying to figure out where the disconnect is. Maybe all of these discrepancies will play themselves out as they start to face the "upper tier" at regionals.

Thanks in advance...

i saw them live and thought they were great- sounded just as good or better than the crown hornlines of the last 3 seasons...

IMO the reason they are scoring low is because they have a pretty tough book- I think they will have plenty to clean and perfect in time for finals and it should be a great showing-

i get to see them in 1 week at MTSU, so i'll let you know!-

i saw them live and thought they were great- sounded just as good or better than the crown hornlines of the last 3 seasons...

IMO the reason they are scoring low is because they have a pretty tough book- I think they will have plenty to clean and perfect in time for finals and it should be a great showing-

i get to see them in 1 week at MTSU, so i'll let you know!-

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that's what the deal was...great news actually. Hopefully VanDoren will get their "minds right" when he visits them later on in the season :)

I've also listened to Crown's APD and think they have a really techniquely difficult book. I'm sure that they, along with other corps like SCV, are getting feedback from the judges that once it gets cleaned-up and played consistently they'll be scoring better.

Also, consider the age of the kids. Crown has younger kids to train. I would be willing to bet that the scores are comping frrom the field judge, who is hearing whats up close. The ensemble scores might be fine, even though the field scores aren't high yet. I have not scrutinized the recaps, so I am not sure. Maybe I am way off. They sure do sound good these days.

t

***First let me put in a disclaimer that I'm a huge Crown homer.***

For those of you who have seen Crown at a show or even listened to an APD can you tell me why it seems their brassline is their weak link this year as far as scores are concerned? NeutralNovices spreadsheet vividly shows the "lag."

Are they just playing music that's a little over their head that will take a little while longer to clean or are they executing the music well but their music is just too easy compared to the lines scoring ahead of them?

I'm hoping it's the former so that they'll have ample room to grow as the season progresses. I'm very happy about the progress of the drumline, but I was actually expecting their hornline to be competing at the level the drumline currently is. From all reviews I've read on here, it sounds like their hornline is terrific this year. I'm just trying to figure out where the disconnect is. Maybe all of these discrepancies will play themselves out as they start to face the "upper tier" at regionals.

Thanks in advance...

Don't worry about the brass scores for Crown. They have young kids and a difficult book. But based on past experience, they clearly know how to develop these kids to perform well in the end. And they already have a huge following this year. By August, they will perfom well AND be entertaining...imagine that, both words in the same sentence regarding a drum corps show! 5 for 5 on the Hot Chops award! GO CROWN!

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that's what the deal was...great news actually. Hopefully VanDoren will get their "minds right" when he visits them later on in the season :)

Donnie was with them at Lexington. I was able to stand in their arc and they sounded great, Matt is doing a great job.

i think this topic should be closed after tonights performance and score...but man PR and Cadets did give them a run for their money

Agreed...this topic is now moot :) :) :) :blink::blink: ....it didn't take Crown long to answer the original poster's question...what a doofus!!! :worthy::worthy::doh: