Where's all the horn solos?

I've only been to a couple of shows and seen a handful of corps this year but it seems that there aren't many horn solos anymore. For crying out loud when I marched it seemed like half of our show was horn solos or duets or sextets, etc. I don't even think Jeff Wilt marched during the show, he just stood at the front of the field and moved from one side to the other to play solos!! Just kidding Jeff, I'm pretty sure you marched at least some of the time. :P Anywho, am I just imagining this or is this the trend these days with the "themed" shows?

There is such a thing as too many horn solos. I mean, there's over 60 horns out there, use 'em!

But seriously, Phantom has a long duet, Crown has the trumpet solo before William Tell, The Cadets start out with a sextet or so. I think all those are tastefully done.

Also, I've noticed a trend where instead of solos, the whole section would be featured (notice a lot of trumpet features lately?).

Also, I've noticed a trend where instead of solos, the whole section would be featured (notice a lot of trumpet features lately?).

That's just good show design! (or lazy drill writers :doh: )

cavies has the Stranger trumpet solo in the very beginning.

Glassmen also have some solos.

I've only been to a couple of shows and seen a handful of corps this year but it seems that there aren't many horn solos anymore. For crying out loud when I marched it seemed like half of our show was horn solos or duets or sextets, etc. I don't even think Jeff Wilt marched during the show, he just stood at the front of the field and moved from one side to the other to play solos!! Just kidding Jeff, I'm pretty sure you marched at least some of the time. :P Anywho, am I just imagining this or is this the trend these days with the "themed" shows?

Maybe solo's are programmed in based on a combination of show concept and talent available. What would be the point of writing in a killer solo if you don't have a kid with the chops to play it? That being said, I was definitely disappointed Blue Devils didnt have a solo/duet in Pegasus somewhere!

Edited by Quiksilveric