Murfreesboro 2007

Great Evening for Drum Corp in my Hometown of Murfreesboro and it’s wonderful to have DCI back in the Boro for 2007.

Middle Tennessee State University has a wonderful facility. Although the stadium worked in 1999 and 2000 for the two day Mid America weekend, the stadium is just not larger enough to hold an all day Regional Contest like Atlanta.

Crowd size was down compared to 2005 (2006 in Cookeville). I think it had lots to do with today’s Regional in Atlanta (less than 4 hour drive away) and the fact the Masters contest was two weeks early.

Seats were 1RR – upper middle chair back section – 4 rows from the top – on the 50.

Agree with another Reviewer – crowd was generous with cheering and applause – lots of hands up in the air when a Corps would something exceptional.

Weather was perfect for this time of year in the south – we’ve been a drought, but for the past few days have had showers. Slight chance last night, but all worked out.

This year, I had a choice of staying close to home or travel to Atlanta as I did last year. For 2006, I felt lucky with my decision to travel down to the Peachtree state for the weekend because of the rain in Cookeville.

For 2007, I decided to stay in Tennessee for the main reason of seeing the Corps perform outside. Atlanta’s stadium is a great facility, but it’s just not the same under the Dome compared to the Stars.

Only two live shows for me this season with the Master’s show being the last – Thank goodness for the Internet and DVDs!!!

Blue Knights – “Dark Dances”

The Sun was setting when the Blue Knights took the field – the glowing shades of red, pinks and orange in the sky perfectly matched the colorguards silks – it just amazes me how wonderful year in and year out the beauty of those painted flags.

Love the build up in the opener – can you say Shostakovich?!! Appreciated the first sets of drill -- had the Contras up front, then the corps proper moved through them for the first be push. Yes, the show is very dark, but they are pulling it off. Lots of work to be done, but think I’ll be listening to this one many times during the off season.

And now it was “Welcome to the Top 7” time:

Carolina Crown – “Triple Crown”

2nd viewing of Crown! After seeing the draw for performance order for this weekend, I knew Crown was up for a challenge.

I LOVE THIS SHOW :P !! Hornline, Hornline, Hornline, Guard, Guard, Guard!! Felt the guard won the night. Just amazing and add so much to the show.

The first big push of the show got the crowds attention and everyone appreciated it. Lots of tweaking of the show over the past three weeks. Drumline is much improved from last year.

William Tell Overture brought at laugher and smiles to close out their show. Fans were quickly on their feet at the end. Great job, Crown!

Bluecoats – “Criminal”

Funny how kids can see and understand so quickly – my 9 year old nephew was pointing out accepts of the Bluecoats show – “that’s security lasers, etc. etc.”

Performance levels for the ‘Coats are incredible – solid up and down. Narration through the show is a nice touch.

The back and forth of the Criminals and the Officers was great – Wow moment was the silent drill when the colorguard moves from the right side of the field through the corps proper is Awesome!!

Santa Clara Vanguard – “!”

VANGUARD b**bs !! Well, only a hand full of us got the cheer tonight ;-).

Have to be honest here – I was personally hoping the Vanguard would take Championship this year – but what a monster drill book! Watching the corps march backwards in a diagonal – just thinking – how on earth are they going to clean that? Yikes!!!

The show screams romance and passion.

CHILL MOMENT of the show for me was the “Bottle Dance Kick” that the Corps proper performance!!

Phantom Regiment – “On Air”

Flow, Flow, Flow – it’s the best way to describe Phantom’s show this year. The Build up of the Glass piece was tremendous.

I’m not sure if I like all the PRANCING the Corps proper performance, but I appreciate what they’re doing – walking “On Air!”

Just a bump during the duet performance, but no biggie – Overall, Horns, Drums and the Guard are at the top. Drumline had a great response from the crowd.

The mellophone runs during the closer are REMARKABLE :blink: ! The arrangement of Firebird must have been tweaked this week, because I thought it was wonderful.

Blue Devils – “Winged Victory”

Memo from the Devils – “You are going to pay attention to us and you are NOW ^0^ !”

Folks, they grab you by the throat and go.

Thought their Horns were the best of the evening. All I can think of is EXCELLENCE!

At one point, the Drumline snakes through the Corps (while the Corps was in a huge diagonal) proper -- very cool!

My 9 year old nephew said, “They’re champs!”

The Cavaliers – “Billy Joel: Music of an American Icon”

Cavies are still at the top with it comes to visual innovations – especially how they integrate elements into their shows.

When the Corps proper is in two arches, the back line places their horns on the field, then, they slowly lowers the front line (individually) to the ground – then, each member on the ground rises their hats – very simple, but very affective.

Show seems (as it is) not completed – especially the ending. Will be great to see what the Green Machine pulls out for Championships.

The Cadets – “This I Believe. Truth, Value and the Personal Experience Called Drum Corps”

‘This I Believe’ I believe in The Cadets :blink: . I have for the past 27 years and this is no exception.

Hornline is fantastic – overwhelming (in a good way) at times. Drumline was rockin’ tonight.

Guard much improved from three weeks ago, but still lots to do. Addition of the new silks is very affected.

Easily, the Best GE of the evening and best overall crowd reaction of the evening.

I’ve seen the show twice in person and know what to expect from the narration – so no surprises here. Didn’t really notice much adjustments during their closer, so don’t know if they included the adjustments in last night’s performance.

Overall Reaction to the Cadets

No walk outs, etc. etc.

In our section, 1RR, there were obviously a few who could not get beyond the narration of the Cadets show. Many of the folks sat on their hands at the end of the performance.

What was sad for me is too see at times, these same folks were paying no attention to the performance and just laughing among themselves – at times, distracting to others.

After the Cadets finished, I was hot. I was going to find some weakness in these folks –

What did these folks have in common?? Most were:

Male

Middle age

Buddha Bellies

And Bald or Balding!!

Time to get revenge!!!!! I pulled out my mobile phone and started taking photos of the top of these guys heads! Yes, it was going to be SWEET to post their baldness on DCP!!!

When I finished up my last photo of the Evil Doers ^0^ , my older Sister looked at me and said the following:

“You’re taking this way too serious.”

“Think about what you’re doing.”

“You know that some people will never accept change and that’s life.”

BHAM! A bag of bricks just knocked me in the face.

It finally hit me – there are Devoted Drum Corps fans just like me who love the activity, but they will never be able to accept or enjoy a production like the 2007 Cadets show.

And with that, it was like a switch.

And you know what, I’m fine with that -- now that’s not to say that if someone using venom during criticism, I won’t push back and speak up, but it’s time to get back to just enjoying Drum Corps – one of my Summer’s Joys!

The folks in Atlanta (heck, and Indy and Denver and …) are about to see some great shows come together before hitting the west coast.

Get out there and cheer for your favorite corps or all of them like me and my family!

Lots of time left in the 2007 season, so ENJOY!!!

Interesting review...thank you

Male

Middle age

Buddha Bellies

And Bald or Balding!!

I am Male, middle aged, buddha bellied, but not balding.

I absolutely do not like amps or the use of amplified voice. To me it's just a bad idea gone... worse.

But I do understand that the Cadets are trying to reach out to kids. And I can accept that.

But I still don't like what they are doing.

[quote} What did these folks have in common?? Most were:

Male

Middle age

Buddha Bellies

And Bald or Balding!!

What u talking about.. .I find it ultra sexy :D

Overall Reaction to the Cadets

No walk outs, etc. etc.

In our section, 1RR, there were obviously a few who could not get beyond the narration of the Cadets show. Many of the folks sat on their hands at the end of the performance.

What was sad for me is too see at times, these same folks were paying no attention to the performance and just laughing among themselves – at times, distracting to others.

After the Cadets finished, I was hot. I was going to find some weakness in these folks –

Male

Middle age

Buddha Bellies

And Bald or Balding!!

Time to get revenge!!!!! I pulled out my mobile phone and started taking photos of the top of these guys heads! Yes, it was going to be SWEET to post their baldness on DCP!!!

When I finished up my last photo of the Evil Doers ^0^ , my older Sister looked at me and said the following:

“You’re taking this way too serious.”

“Think about what you’re doing.”

“You know that some people will never accept change and that’s life.”

BHAM! A bag of bricks just knocked me in the face.

It finally hit me – there are Devoted Drum Corps fans just like me who love the activity, but they will never be able to accept or enjoy a production like the 2007 Cadets show.

And with that, it was like a switch.

Thanks for your review.....you pretty much captured the spirit of Murfreesboro. I wish you luck in avoiding becoming middle-aged, balding, and Buddha Belly yourself someday. I also hope that drum corps still exists in a form that is recognizeable to you 25 years from now and that you will be able to accept and enjoy every production that is put before you at that time.

I am a Buddha Bellied middle-aged guy who will soon be balding. I was at Murfreesboro with three old friends who, like myself, marched corps back in the day. I was fortunate in that the corps I aged-out from (Blue Knights) is still around. My friends are alumni of corps who didn't make it out of the 1980's alive.

For the record, WE LAUGHED AT THE CADETS. Yes, we recognized that immense talent that the Cadets brought to the table.....theirs may have been the best hornline of the night.....and still we laughed. We, as much as anyone, recognized the incredible dedication of the young people who are members of the Cadets....and still we laughed. We took pleasure in trying to figure out where the person talking to us was (instead of paying attention to things like......drill) and.....still we laughed. I halfway expected to hear something from the Bridge on the River Kwai....."Be happy in your work for work will set you free". I said so and then we laughed.

It started with the high school kid behind us who sarcastically said "I wish that hornline would quit playing so I could hear what they're saying"..........and we laughed. Our group.....and the one behind us.....was discreet. We didn't heckle. We barely disturbed those around us who were also having various reactions from disbelief (at how good this corps was) to dismay.

Speaking for my group, we had a good time with the entire show. Every corps was entertaining to us on some level.....some more than others......and we appreciate the dedication today's corps members exhibit. Drum corps is one of the central aspects of our entire lives. We've marched, volunteered with corps, and watched shows going back 30 years. How could we stay away? We had forgotton how much fun it was to laugh at a drum corps show (reference to the fantastic Velvet Knights and Bridgemen of our youth) and honestly had to admit that we had been entertained by the Cadets. Isn't that what it's all about?

Signed,

The Buddha Bellies in 2SS who laughed at the Cadets

Thanks for your review.....you pretty much captured the spirit of Murfreesboro. I wish you luck in avoiding becoming middle-aged, balding, and Buddha Belly yourself someday. I also hope that drum corps still exists in a form that is recognizeable to you 25 years from now and that you will be able to accept and enjoy every production that is put before you at that time.

I am a Buddha Bellied middle-aged guy who will soon be balding. I was at Murfreesboro with three old friends who, like myself, marched corps back in the day. I was fortunate in that the corps I aged-out from (Blue Knights) is still around. My friends are alumni of corps who didn't make it out of the 1980's alive.

For the record, WE LAUGHED AT THE CADETS. Yes, we recognized that immense talent that the Cadets brought to the table.....theirs may have been the best hornline of the night.....and still we laughed. We, as much as anyone, recognized the incredible dedication of the young people who are members of the Cadets....and still we laughed. We took pleasure in trying to figure out where the person talking to us was (instead of paying attention to things like......drill) and.....still we laughed. I halfway expected to hear something from the Bridge on the River Kwai....."Be happy in your work for work will set you free". I said so and then we laughed.

It started with the high school kid behind us who sarcastically said "I wish that hornline would quit playing so I could hear what they're saying"..........and we laughed. Our group.....and the one behind us.....was discreet. We didn't heckle. We barely disturbed those around us who were also having various reactions from disbelief (at how good this corps was) to dismay.

Speaking for my group, we had a good time with the entire show. Every corps was entertaining to us on some level.....some more than others......and we appreciate the dedication today's corps members exhibit. Drum corps is one of the central aspects of our entire lives. We've marched, volunteered with corps, and watched shows going back 30 years. How could we stay away? We had forgotton how much fun it was to laugh at a drum corps show (reference to the fantastic Velvet Knights and Bridgemen of our youth) and honestly had to admit that we had been entertained by the Cadets. Isn't that what it's all about?

Signed,

b**bs :blink: Very well said!

Edited by Lancerlady

Signed,

Wow, real classy there.

I think the OP makes a great point, and all you did was back his point up. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Its one thing to try and get a show and it just not happen. Its another to be stubborn and have your mind set out to hate something or just not pay attention to it while watching it and not give it a chance.

Bravo to the OP for calling some clueless people out.

Edited by TXMystreaux

Wow, real classy there.

I think the OP makes a great point, and all you did was back his point up. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Its one thing to try and get a show and it just not happen. Its another to be stubborn and have your mind set out to hate something or just not pay attention to it while watching it and not give it a chance.

Bravo to the OP for calling some clueless people out.

Bring it down a notch Michael. Clueless people? Why are they clueless cause they don't like the narration? Nobody said they didn't like the talent level.

I think you are missing a sense of humor here. Nobody was clueless in this crowd. And you already have your "ready, aim, fire" button set before you read what was typed and what you want to read. So who is being "judgemental" here?

Please re read what the poster said. He said it was a "restrained laugh not bothering anyone around them". And I don't think the guy was even talking about this poster, but at least he had guts to admit it. Cause of where the poster was seated. Obviously this group wasn't the only one laughing in the crowd. So are you going to go after anyone who has a different point of view about the Cadets show?

Signed,

Hey Buddha Bellies!! Glad you had a good time in the Boro and enjoyed the Show.

Just for the record, I turned 44 this past Thursday! Yikes!!! but, I don't have a Buddha Belly and still have all my hair which is not gray :P

Laughter during a corps show is wonderful -- ie -- Crown moving into the William Tell ... but laughter at the expense of a Corps is another issue -- I will say the laughter around us during the Cadets' pemformance was more of uncomfortable laughter.

During the closer -- it just happens that I was that young man back in 1978 who didn't fit it and was over weight -- My instrument and the joy of performing got me through that time :)

Be good!

Edited by Boybugle63

Hey Buddha Bellies!! Glad you had a good time in the Boro and enjoyed the Show.

Just for the record, I turned 44 this past Thursday! Yikes!!! but, I don't have a Buddha Belly and still have all my hair which is not gray :P

Laughter during a corps show is wonderful -- ie -- Crown moving into the William Tell ... but laughter at the expense of a Corps is another issue -- I will say the laughter I around us during the Cadets' pemformance was more of uncomfortable laughter.

During the closer -- it just happens that I was that young man back in 1978 who didn't fit it and was over weight -- My instrument and the joy of performing got me through that time :)

Be good!

My hubby marched 78 too...small world drum corps is uh? Thanks for this response! :blink:

Still our laughter was restrained and intentionally we did NOT disrespect anyone around us. I even turned around and playfully hit the youngster on the knee making the jokes to shush him like a mom admonishing her youngin'. He was a fun guy who marched with a corps visiting friends in the stands. :)