Atlanta, 7/14/07

Just got back from the show. Overall, I think this is going to be a very interesting final month, as there are many corps who I see having the potential to move up (and down) in the rankings. Can't say I think the 2007 shows are as great overall as the 2006 season's, but it was a very enjoyable night of drum corps. I took a friend who is a string musician, and it was his first DCI experience. He was thoroughly impressed, and enjoyed Phantom and Bluecoats the most. The crowd was very tame tonight from where I was sitting. I almost was hoping it would start to rain like it did last year in the upper deck, just to get the crowd going. However, I must admit that the guy sitting next to me was the most enthusiastic fan I've ever met. Literally started to moan during things he really liked... and he moaned loud and often. Interesting to say the least!

Cavaliers: A down year for them (IMHO). That being said, if this is a down year for the Cavaliers, and they still have a show this well put together, it is a testament to their creative potential and consistency. Can't say I understand how the Billy Joel theme is portrayed by a fixation with the ground and noticeable lack of more Billy Joel music, but I did hear a few quotes in there, especially "And So It Goes" and "Pressure", along with that piano riff he begins his concerts with. I'm a big Billy Joel fan (saw him in concert just a few months ago), and a big DCI fan, but this show was somewhat of a let down.

Cadets: They wanted it more than everyone tonight, and I left thinking they had the win. The show has a lot of intensity and emotion, and the performers are buying into it every step of the way. Loudest hornline of the night, and probably the cleanest guard. If I were a betting man, I see them taking the title this year. However, this show honestly isn't my cup of tea. I like parts of it a lot, but the sappy parts about the kid not fitting in, and a few of the other quotes seemed slightly contrived to me. Overall I think the vocals and the theme leave a lot to be desired, but the show, and the music, are designed around them. It somewhat reminds me of the 2000 production. Some will love this show in Pasadena, and some will hate it, but everyone will probably agree they are performing as an ENSEMBLE near the top of the 5th box. I think this was the crowd favorite from where I was sitting??? Like I said, this was a very tame crowd, and most everyone left before the scores and encore!

Blue Devils: If the rest of the show was as intense as the opener, they would be unstopable this year. They had the crowd hooked from the first opening statement by the guard, and kept everyone's attention to the end of the opener. During the first part of the show I felt for the first time since I have started following DCI that BD's drill was better then the music. There is some really awesome drill at the end of the opener, where the winged characters spiral inward, with the hornline behind them. The back half of the show lacks some needed contrast (both visually and musically), and I can't say that this is the best theme they have used for a show, but they are doing some creative things with it. Something was just lacking after the opener, and I don't know what it is. On a side note, you know you march well when you put a white stripe down one leg of your uniform, and they do!

Phantom Regiment: Some great, powerful symphonic sounds with a very well put together visual ensemble. It lacks focus when comparing it to last year's incredible show concept, but the corps is clearly full of championship level talent. Like the Blue Devils, I didn't fell they were giving the audience enough contrast in terms of ideas, and didn't really understand the purpose of "On Air". All that aside, they are quite good, and quite musical. Yes, there are many references to birds, and things aloft, but compared to their recent programs, this show is not as engaging. Something about the "green" color scheme was bothersome at times, but the guard designers use of color in the flags, rifles, and colorguard uniforms is very striking and unique.

Bluecoats: Best overall concept in DCI this year, and they are really starting to take ownership of it. The new uniforms are the best in DCI, and they look incredibly sophistacted and fresh when viewed from a distance. Whoever was on here saying how they look or sound like BD needs their eyes and ears checked! In my opinion, they had the most creative and entertaining show of the evening. I didn't have a doubt in my mind they would win high brass when I left the show before the scores were announced, and I'm glad to see my prediction correct. I thought Coats and Phantom would be in the thick of things near the top, but it seems like there was a little slotting going on tonight (aka the judges disagreed with me :) ). Some people might argue about my perception of this hornline, but they should remember that the concept of "VOLUME" isn't on the brass sheets. They play very stylistically correct, and their dynamic range (which was loud enough during the loud sections) was sufficient and engaging. The musical ensembles tonal exploration and nuance, particularly what they exude in the ballad were fantastic. They have such a unique mix of percussion and brass sounds (what a variety), and I really don't feel they are getting the credit they deserve overall. There is a story they are telling, and it seems to be starting to take shape since I saw it on the last webcast. They need to tweak a few sections of the show, clean it up, and PERFORM it like a first place drum corps to hang with the top 3. When they do, LOOK OUT. This is the corps to keep your eyes on in the upcoming weeks.

SCV: The drill design is scary good! They music is very sophisticated and nice, but did not stand out in terms of effect when compared to the corps that followed them, or in the case of Crown, came before. This is my first viewing of them this year, and I honestly felt like they were tired, or having an off-performance. I will reserve judgment on this show until I see it again. I just hope for their sake that the lack of energy wasn't due to design problems, and was due to them having an off night, or they might not be able to get ahead of Crown again before Pasadena.

Crown: Very well performed, and very clean. The crowd LOVED this show (they were the first big-boy corps the night), and they have a lot to be proud of. I'm not sure that they have the design to push into the top 6 this year (particularly with the drill), but the amount of improvement that have shown over the past several years leaves them a lot to be proud of. The brass sound much better on Yamaha horns, and didn't have that crass edge that I perceived from them during the past few seasons. (Don't flame me... just MHO!). Percussion is a step up from last year, and the guard top-notch as we have come to expect from them.

I will review the other corps later, but I thought the surprise of the evening was the COLTS! Wow have they improved over the past several years! The new uniforms are very unique, and I enjoyed the drill a lot. I really enjoyed this program, and suspect we will find good things in store for this group later on this season, and if they keep up the momentum, in the coming years.

How I called things tonight:

CADETS

BLUE DEVILS/CAVALIERS

BLUECOATS/PHANTOM

SCV/CROWN

CROWN

COLTS

BLUE KNIGHTS

BOSTON

GLASSMEN

SPIRIT

My prediction for finals:

CADETS

BLUE DEVILS

BLUECOATS

PHANTOM

CAVALIERS

SCV

CROWN

BLUE KNIGHTS

COLTS

BOSTON

SPIRIT

GLASSMEN

Sorry for typos, grammar errors, or confusing thoughts. It's late and I'm tired, but I wanted to be the first to share.

Cavaliers: A down year for them (IMHO). That being said, if this is a down year for the Cavaliers, and they still have a show this well put together, it is a testament to their creative potential and consistency. Can't say I understand how the Billy Joel theme is portrayed by a fixation with the ground and noticeable lack of more Billy Joel music, but I did hear a few quotes in there, especially "And So It Goes" and "Pressure", along with that piano riff he begins his concerts with. I'm a big Billy Joel fan (saw him in concert just a few months ago), and a big DCI fan, but this show was somewhat of a let down.

Thanks for the great review!

One side note: I don't think the cavies ever said they were doing a show ABOUT Billy Joel.

cheers!

Thanks for the great review!

One side note: I don't think the cavies ever said they were doing a show ABOUT Billy Joel.

cheers!

That kind of logic reminds me of a wind ensemble work I played once. It was called "Polka Nation", but wasn't meant to sound like a Polka in any way, shape or form. :)

That kind of logic reminds me of a wind ensemble work I played once. It was called "Polka Nation", but wasn't meant to sound like a Polka in any way, shape or form. :)

LOL....touche.....

Did you understand how Phantom's props and feathers portrayed Stravinsky? :P

Edited by justanopinion

awesome- i just wrote a review of murfreesboro- and if review writing were a competition... you just kicked my butt! way to go man... this was one of the best reviews i've seen this year so far- kudos to you

LOL....touche.....

Did you understand how Phantom's props and feathers portrayed Stravinsky? :P

Yes I did.. they were trying to evoke a response from the crowd similar to that when The Rite of Spring was premiered.

I am correct, right? From what I recall, everyone loved it, and the hall was filled with polite applause?? :blink:

Nice review...thanks

Pretty much "spot on" with my thoughts :)

Yes I did.. they were trying to evoke a response from the crowd similar to that when The Rite of Spring was premiered.

I am correct, right? From what I recall, everyone loved it, and the hall was filled with polite applause?? :blink:

no....not the Rite of Spring....Stravinsky the man.....did he wear feathers? You were asking how Cavaliers portrayed Billy Joel, not And So It Goes.

of course it's late, and i'm tired, and everything I say could be wrong.

nite... :)

Thanks for the review, but I'm surprised that you're having a hard time hearing the Joel pieces. Listen to the opening of "The Stranger", "Angry Young Man", "Invention in C Minor", and "And So it Goes", and the arrangements follow Joel's own compositions pretty much phrase for phrase. "Pressure" is the one that's the most drum-corps-ized for the modern era.

Edited by mobrien