Return to Wildwoods drum corps tradition this sat.

Hey, guys. Everyone having a good hot drum corps summer?

For all those of you out there who didn't get enough Wildwoods senior drum corps at the Caballeros' Beach Party in June, I have some great news for you: Junior Corps is coming back to historic Maxwell Field, the traditional site for many decades of New Jersey junior and senior action in the state AL and VFW championships. Historically, those shows all showcased the best of the Garden State, but this Saturday, we'll all get a chance to see some great competition from several of the best juniors from all over the northeast - as well as one fantastic group of old fogie senior "alumnites," (I just made that word up)! - Bayonne's Bananas, the Bridgemen!!!!! b**bs

The Jersey Surf Junior Corps (Wildwoods' official ambassadors) will hold their annual Sounds of the Surf Summer Classic at Maxwell Field, 4000 Park Boulevard, on Saturday night. The gates open at 5 p.m. and the show starts at 7, according to the DCI website. General admission tickets will be $15.

What is really neat about this show is that Mayor Ernie Troiano has finally been able to fulfill his promise to return Maxwell Field to its historic drum corps traditions. The city has purchased close to 1000 new state of the art "stadium" bleacher seats. No longer will we have to force ourselves like sardines into Wildwood's old football field seating. The new stadium bleachers, which are currently being installed, appear to be at least three times higher than the old seats. So get ready to relax - until you feel the need to jump up and down, of course.

Also, he made good on his promise to return the corps performances to the WEST side of the field, as everyone over 40 can remember fondly. So, what do you think? New stadium bleachers, brand new press box, and performances back on the west side of the field? Ah, tradition.

Oh, one other tradition to speak of. No one "official" has mentioned this, but from me to you:

Although we have a lot more bleachers, I'm hoping for an overflow turnout to send the excitement through the roof - uh, to the sky! So, if you want, or if you come late, just in case there's a lot more people than usual, why not bring your lawn chair - just in case. :rolleyes:

Here's the official lineup. (The list comes from DCI's website, the announcement about the Bridgemen I received in a call to the Surf's show coordinator):

* Jersey Surf - Camden County, NJ

* Spartans - Nashua, NH

* Raiders - Wayne, NJ

* Vision Elite - Brooklyn, NY

* Spirit of Newark - Newark, NJ

* Targets - Springfield, MASS

* Citations - Burlington, MASS

* 7th Regiment - New London, CT

** Bridgemen Alumni in exhibition

I'll be there. You?

Thom Fontannaz B)

TheWildwoodsReporter.com

I'll be there, performing!

Will there be stands this year?

If you read the original post, then you would know yes, there will be bleachers. Very nice ones :)

To all the great NJ drum corps fans heading to the show on Saturday night.......

If you have a few minutes, stop on by and see the Raiders at thier housing site this weekend!

The corps will be at Middle Township High School all day and into the early evening on Saturday.

Stop by and say HI!

AHHH... I miss the days of marching on maxwell field, standing on the ready line waiting for inspection at the AL and VFW shows, the crowds...

Wishing I was in Wildwood for the show........

ENJOY!!!!!!!!