Trumpet Technique Question

triplefunk

so this 5 star.... what does it look like? I mean, is it flat bowl... or is like traditional mouthpieces?

It's called a Parduba double cup. Originally made in New York in the early and mid 20th century by Mr. Parduba. It is manufactured by another company now along with some other classic style mouthpieces from the same time period from original tools and or designs. On the original Pardubas the silver plate wore off very quickly, within weeks.

The Parduba double-cup, to me, is the child of the devil. It is like no other mouthpiece and those that love it swear by it.

It's not too expensive and they're easily found. I think you'll either love it or hate it. Sort of like you would a Jet Tone.

Construction is a very wide rim with a high crown, an extremely shallow first cup, leading into a deep funnel shaped second cup. I think the throat is about a 27 which is a little tight. It is also a very heavy mouthpiece with a lot of mass and is a little darker sounding than your typical shallow mouthpiece.

Harry James, in his biography, says it saved his career. The 5starHJ, was his custom model and was even shallower still than the normal 5star. However, if you watched any of the videos on YouTube, you can tell it worked for him!

I tried playing Pardubas for about 6 years when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I started on a 5 star, then a 3 star and settled on a 4 star. After awhile, I went to a bigger Giardinelli mouthpiece for a different sound. I never was satisfied with my progress on the Parduba, but I did gain a lot of endurance and maybe a couple of notes of range.

I'm a big believer in experimenting to find the right fit of equipment. If you have the time and money to try it, I think it's worth a look and listen.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called a Parduba double cup. Originally made in New York in the early and mid 20th century by Mr. Parduba. It is manufactured by another company now along with some other classic style mouthpieces from the same time period from original tools and or designs. On the original Pardubas the silver plate wore off very quickly, within weeks.

The Parduba double-cup, to me, is the child of the devil. It is like no other mouthpiece and those that love it swear by it.

It's not too expensive and they're easily found. I think you'll either love it or hate it. Sort of like you would a Jet Tone.

Construction is a very wide rim with a high crown, an extremely shallow first cup, leading into a deep funnel shaped second cup. I think the throat is about a 27 which is a little tight. It is also a very heavy mouthpiece with a lot of mass and is a little darker sounding than your typical shallow mouthpiece.

Harry James, in his biography, says it saved his career. The 5starHJ, was his custom model and was even shallower still than the normal 5star. However, if you watched any of the videos on YouTube, you can tell it worked for him!

I tried playing Pardubas for about 6 years when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I started on a 5 star, then a 3 star and settled on a 4 star. After awhile, I went to a bigger Giardinelli mouthpiece for a different sound. I never was satisfied with my progress on the Parduba, but I did gain a lot of endurance and maybe a couple of notes of range.

I'm a big believer in experimenting to find the right fit of equipment. If you have the time and money to try it, I think it's worth a look and listen.

thanks for all you information! greatly appreciated! I will check out youtube and see what he does.

I have the same issue ... but I get a nice flutter by keeping the center of the tongue loose .. and keep the left and right edges tight to the inside of the teeth. And I mean PUSH them into the side teeth!

Tried that last night. still a little choppy for me. but it will have to take time. :D

Re: Parduba Double Cup

Back in '67, Dom Delra (creator of the mellophone bugle) was recommending they be played with a Parduba 6 Star. It was bigger than a standard trumpet piece like a 7C but the second cup was a benefit when matching to french horn timbre. Funny how the modern mellophone pieces still have that "V" cup. (And don't get me started on sticking a french horn piece in a mellophone!)

I'll agree with Martybucs, though. A double cup piece isn't for everyone.

Tried that last night. still a little choppy for me. but it will have to take time. :D

I try to flutter tongue once in a while, but never practice it enough to be reliable.

Does anyone remember the guy in the Springfield Marksmen who used to flutter his way through "Hava Nagila"? That dude was NASTY.

I am in a local orchestra. and some of the pieces we are playing are down and dirty and sultry. I use my plunger and attempt to get a good growel in there at certain points. now, I have a rather wide tongue, which doesn't allow me to flutter tongue very "fluently." Instead it is really choppy. the only good alternative I have found is singing a different note than what I'm playing do get the growl effect. does anybody have an Idea of how a person with a really wide tongue does a really good flutter tongue?

Just concentrate on fluttering the very tip of the tongue. As with tonguing, it doesn't take much to momentarily stop the flow of air. Don't focus on the whole tongue; just lightly flutter the tip. If you can tongue notes, you can flutter. I'd forget the piece for a moment and practice on lower to medium range scales at a mezzo piano volume.

The best thing is to find the way that suits you and just walk around the entire day, even though youll look retarted, practicing it everywhere. Car, shower, lunch, EVERYWHERE. When I was a highschool freshman thats how i learned how to double and triple toung really well.

• 1 month later...