Trumpet Technique Question

triplefunk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can do it by kinda humming in your throat...if that makes any sense......

I kinda figured that...just trying to explain it in a different way........

Just concentrate on fluttering the very tip of the tongue. As with tonguing, it doesn't take much to momentarily stop the flow of air. Don't focus on the whole tongue; just lightly flutter the tip. If you can tongue notes, you can flutter. I'd forget the piece for a moment and practice on lower to medium range scales at a mezzo piano volume.

The least amount of lip pressure on the mouthpiece also helps. Kinda lets everything vibrate. Works for me anyway.

i can flutter-tongue, but i like the throat-growl thing better. the sound you make when you pronounce the 'ch' in bach, loch, or whetever. not just the 'k' sound, but the gutteral sound that sounds like you're haukin (sp?) a lugie (also sp?). you hear the sound in the german language a lot. i hope i explained it well enough.

anyway, i just make that sound and hold it out while playing the trumpet to get the growl sound. it's kinda hard, but practice a bit and you can get it sounding pretty good