Drum Corps Mythbusters!

For those not in the know... our boy Krebs was the one wearing the bandage and it was not for GE (although I'm sure it didn't hurt). :)

Eric can correct me if I'm wrong on details but he was hit by a car walking back to the school after Bluecoats' final rehearsal on the day of finals. He toughed it out, got patched up and marched the show like a trooper... err... you know what I mean.

Not to steal Eric's thunder, but the accident actually happened before the final run. I'll leave it up to him if he wants to disclose the whole story. Our practice field was roughly 2 blocks from the school, along a "busy-ish" road.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? I honestly believe that most of us who marched that year eagerly await somebody who will do the same as we did, and by doing so, will make us a distant memory. That would, in essence, be our greatest "reward". The fact that it is STILL a topic is only because nobody has found a way to be that bold vs. our actual effort/achievement.

As far as "vindication"....there really isn't any to be had - I think that I can speak for the majority of the corps in saying that the experience of performing that particular show to such a high level was as much satisfaction as anyone could ever desire. I'm very flattered that it is still a topic to this day, but I will be the first person to celebrate when another corps brings about a show that eclipses it.

I think I'll listen to our center snare for "tempo" here :). Ditto Clark

I think I'll listen to our center snare for "tempo" here :). Ditto Clark

Clark Decker? Marched Sky Ryders?

(Might have the last name wrong - I'm thinking of a snare who's brother Garret(sp) also marched sop in Star and also had previously marched Sky)

Edited by bartyount

Yes, and I'm not saying Madonna definitely marched in drum corps, but there was also a corps from Port Huron/Sarnia called the Bluewater Bridgemen. Port Huron and Madonna's hometown of Rochester, MI are pretty close together.

Several biographies on Madonna have mentioned a drum corps tie. The name Bridgemen was always talked about. We know it was not the Bayonne Bridgemen, but could have been the Bridgman, MI D & BC, or the Bluewater Bridgemen. Madonna took twirling lessons in her junior high days, so who knows? A guy from SCV taught her to twirl rifle back in 2004 for her concert tour. He said she was a natural at it.

Yes, and I'm not saying Madonna definitely marched in drum corps, but there was also a corps from Port Huron/Sarnia called the Bluewater Bridgemen. Port Huron and Madonna's hometown of Rochester, MI are pretty close together.

Several biographies on Madonna have mentioned a drum corps tie. The name Bridgemen was always talked about. We know it was not the Bayonne Bridgemen, but could have been the Bridgman, MI D & BC, or the Bluewater Bridgemen. Madonna took twirling lessons in her junior high days, so who knows? A guy from SCV taught her to twirl rifle back in 2004 for her concert tour. He said she was a natural at it.

Brian,

I thought we hashed this one out here or on Soundmachine long ago . It definitely wasn't the 'Bluewater Bridgemen', nor any corps from Sarnia.

Regards,

John Swartz

And before anyone says it, Oaklands did not throw there drums off a cliff after prelims in 77.

Yes, John we did this one on the original Sound Machine way back when.

I just want to make sure people don't automatically dismiss the story simply because it wasn't the Bayonne Bridgemen involved. The biographies mentioning Madonna and the Bridgemen showed up back in 1998. After concluding that it wasn't the NJ Bridgemen Madonna was supposedly involved with I quickly pointed out that there were two Bridgman/Bridgemen names of corps in her home state of Michigan. It would have been far more likely it was one of those she had ties with.

It always mentioned her taking twirling lessons, which I take to mean baton. Many young-age corps from years back had baton twirlers in their ranks.

Clark Decker? Marched Sky Ryders?

(Might have the last name wrong - I'm thinking of a snare who's brother Garret(sp) also marched sop in Star and also had previously marched Sky)

Almost....Clark Gardner - yes, I marched in Sky before I went to Star of Indiana and my bro is Garett.

I know the dude that yelled SHUT UP ^OO^ , directly after the SPANK ME incident! Hutch .. you rule!

Sorry, I hate to admit I was the one who yelled shut up to these guys in Orlando. Upper level on side one, they were sitting about the third row of the upper deck. I play this part for many people and they can tell it's me immediately. I thought I yelled shut up just loud enough for them to hear but didn't think it would be on the video or CD. Actually wish it wasn't on there. But I know the folks around me were a little antsy with all the yelling going on that night and it got to a point I had to voice my displeasure.