Curious about alternates

Just curious about the corps that carry alternates. Do most of them have alternates with them on tour? If they do, how are they utilized? In other words, do the kids play at all, or get any marching time on the field during rehearsals? I would imagine that the corps staff would obviously want their kids who have the spots practicing in those spots all the time so they can improve. But if the alternates never get to practice, how do those kids learn drill so quickly if they need to jump into a spot on short notice? I also heard that some groups have kids "on call" back at home. That takes some dedication!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious about the corps that carry alternates. Do most of them have alternates with them on tour? If they do, how are they utilized? In other words, do the kids play at all, or get any marching time on the field during rehearsals? I would imagine that the corps staff would obviously want their kids who have the spots practicing in those spots all the time so they can improve. But if the alternates never get to practice, how do those kids learn drill so quickly if they need to jump into a spot on short notice? I also heard that some groups have kids "on call" back at home. That takes some dedication!

I don't know how many corps carry alternates. Some do.

The alternates learn quickly because they want it so bad. They play in horn arc, they march basics, and they pay attention at drill rehearsals. Sometimes they run the met at ensemble which helps them learn the count structure and timing responsibilities. Usually they are considered full members of the corps. If they have a positive and helpful attitude and show improvement and willingness to learn, they're a leg up on the next year's auditions. Also, if someone gets hurt and they are in a spot, they tend to learn VERY quickly. After all, they came to get a spot.

Sometimes, toward the mid-end of the season, the alternates may be asked if they'd like to fill a hole for the rest of the season at a less competitive corps. Some might balk at that idea, but it's good for the student (getting performance experience) and good for the other corps (getting a hole filled.) Usually the two corps are in a big brother/little brother relationship.

It depends on the corps and complexity of the show, but I think in general, if the alternate is a vet, they'll be able to pick up the show rather quickly. They aren't going to nail their dot, but they can have an idea of where to go and work on it over time. Then as far as music, that just comes with practice everyday. When I marched we didn't have alternates, but I saw vets come in and be in a show after 3 days of rehearsal.

I am curious to know about the rehearsal requirements of an alternate though.

I'm also curious to know about payment for alternates. I know that one corps told an alternate that they would not have to pay any tour fees/tuition unless and until they began to march a spot, which leads me to blieve they were probably not getting any horn instruction, or rehearsals during the day. Another alternate that I know of paid the entire tour fee, but also didn't get in any rehearsing during the tour. I guess it really depends upon the corps, but I thought there would be a little more similarity across the board.

I had a friend who was an alternate last year and he ended up in the show. He said that he paid full amount like the regular corps members but got half back because he was an alternate.

I personally believe very strongly that corps should be limited to two alternates a year. No one carries drum alternates. But to me, it's an absolute sham that any corps dangles people all year. I know "stuff happens", but it's not cool to me.

How about this -- corps can have 3 alternates, but they cannot be over 19 years old?

I personally believe very strongly that corps should be limited to two alternates a year. No one carries drum alternates. But to me, it's an absolute sham that any corps dangles people all year. I know "stuff happens", but it's not cool to me.

How about this -- corps can have 3 alternates, but they cannot be over 19 years old?

For God's sakes, why? Those kids choose to be there. They want to be there. What if there's a 21 year old who wants to march this corps and only this corps so badly, and he gets his chance when someone leaves spring training or gets injured later? Are you going to take that away from him?

No one forces alternates to be there. The possibilities are explained and never guaranteed, and those kids CHOOSE TO BE THERE. And if they WANT to fill a spot somewhere else halfway through the season, they are released from their contract to do so. How could it BE more win-win?

Why should the age have anything to do with it? I have no problem with a corps carrying an alterate all year, provided the kid knew what the expectations were when they joined..

For God's sakes, why? Those kids choose to be there. They want to be there. What if there's a 21 year old who wants to march this corps and only this corps so badly, and he gets his chance when someone leaves spring training or gets injured later? Are you going to take that away from him?

No one forces alternates to be there. The possibilities are explained and never guaranteed, and those kids CHOOSE TO BE THERE. And if they WANT to fill a spot somewhere else halfway through the season, they are released from their contract to do so. How could it BE more win-win?

We take it away from 22 year olds. We take it away from kid 136 (or 151...)

Why should the age have anything to do with it? I have no problem with a corps carrying an alterate all year, provided the kid knew what the expectations were when they joined..

Well, let me ask you this... why should Blue Devils or SCV carry an alternate at all? Don't they have a rather large alternate pool? If you can fill your corps, filling one spot in July isn't hard. If you're not full, you shouldn't carry alternates. Taking a kid around as an alternate very well may be a choice, but how well do you think expectations are set?

I'm not saying none, but how freakin' hard would it be for Cavaliers to fill a mello hole on July 15, as an example?