Which horn do I overhaul first?

Kansan

I want to restore all the above horns eventually.

Which one would you forum guys start with 1st? Which one is more valuable after an overhaul?

1.Bundy Coronet H&A Selmer Inc. serial number 115267.

2.Bundy Trumpet The Selmer Company U.S.A. serial number 978239 with the letters ML under number.

3.Olds Ambassador Fullerton Calif. serial number 886528.

All are playable now, they just have cosmetic problems with the Brass finish. I assume they are all student model horns.

Also, should I get them restored as they were in brass lacquer or have them done in silver?

I'm awaiting your advice.

Wasn't Bundy Bach's second line of horns. Since Bach also has a student model line of horns, wouldn't that make them sub-student model horns? I have a Bundy pea shooter trombone that I've had since 1989 and I still use/like it.

I would guess that the Olds is the best of the bunch. But I wouldn't really know myself. If you're having them overhauled by an unfamiliar source, then I'd have the one you use and care about the least done first. If they do a good job, you may opt to trust them with the best of the bunch. If not, you have one more before the best to try another vendor with. But that's just me.

I think Bundy was the original student model for Bach, Mercedes was intermediate, and Strad. their pro model. The Bundy name came about around 1961 when Selmer acquired the Bach company. Bundy was a manufacturer and supplier to Selmer.

Newer Bundy trumpets are similar to the Bach TR 300 and I don't believe they are made in the US.

The same is probably true of the Bundy cornet.

If I had to guess which would be more desirable I would guess the Olds Ambassador. There is a lot of interest in Olds horns and if it's in good shape, even as a student model, it could be worth the most out of the bunch.

I wouldn't spend a fortune restoring any of these horns, though. I've played Olds Ambassadors and an Olds Recorder and of course, an Olds Ultratone P/R bugle. They're all good, but not pro level horns.

Thanks guys,

I'll probably start with the Bundy Coronet to see what kind of work the shop does and then get the Olds overhauled.

I'm going to give one to my boy for sure and sell the others when the overhauls are complete.

I just think it would be cool to put these horns back in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Figured I'd chime in real quick.... You need to defiantly overhaul the Olds first. The Bundy cornet and trumpet would honestly not be something I'd sink money into. You could buy a real nice pro horn for the cost of overhauling those two student level horns. There are a lot of custom trumpet guys who will use the valve block off an Olds Ambassador, slap on their own bell and leadpipe, and call it good to go. There are several things you could do to soup up the Olds while you're having it overhauled to that wouldn't add a great deal of cost to the work in the end. If you need any pointers let me know.

--Mike Corrigan

www.HornDr.com

President B.A.C. Horn Doctor Inc.

Olathe, Kansas

I want to restore all the above horns eventually.

Which one would you forum guys start with 1st? Which one is more valuable after an overhaul?

1.Bundy Coronet H&A Selmer Inc. serial number 115267.

2.Bundy Trumpet The Selmer Company U.S.A. serial number 978239 with the letters ML under number.

3.Olds Ambassador Fullerton Calif. serial number 886528.

All are playable now, they just have cosmetic problems with the Brass finish. I assume they are all student model horns.

Also, should I get them restored as they were in brass lacquer or have them done in silver?

I'm awaiting your advice.

I've got an Olds Coronet that was original lacquer. The horn isn't really worth doing a full restore on, so I buffed with with scotch brite ... The brushed lacquer looks really decent, and the horn sounds great (the suckers are virtually indestructible.)