tuning the hornline

bbaritone_41

Here is an idea. Noch all the horns like BD and Cadets do so your in tune based on temp. I still can't figure out why other hornlines don't use this method. Its no secret why Cadets and BD are in tune every year at finals more than anyone else.

To make a hornline ring without using the notch you need rediculous amounts of talent and Donny VanDoren and or the Frank Williams of 20 years ago.

Just use French Horns!

Yeah but last time I checked, French Horns are pricey.

And in a Bb hornline, F mellophones unless you have killer trumpet players playing mello, and that isn't always the case. So writing a book in a midrange with a french horn mouthpiece produce a better sound than a 6V. But that's my opinion.

Here is an idea. Noch all the horns like BD and Cadets do so your in tune based on temp. I still can't figure out why other hornlines don't use this method. Its no secret why Cadets and BD are in tune every year at finals more than anyone else.

To make a hornline ring without using the notch you need rediculous amounts of talent and Donny VanDoren and or the Frank Williams of 20 years ago.

We used a similar method in Madison this year. But then again everycorps I've marched with has....so I'm sure it;s no secert.

I've recently acquired a chromatic tuner. Hence, I want our hornline to be in tune.

In what key does the G hornline be tuned into?

I've tuned them in G but when they play, they tend to be sharp.

What makes them like that?

Kumustá po.

Anyone with enough years will tell you the truth. It's mostly the players. And the more inexperienced the players, the worse the problem may be.

Sure, horns may also have a tendency to be sharp, most are, to give you room to tune. The major manufacturers use exact standards and require the same of their subcontractors. People may prefer one brand over another and have convinced themselves no matter what evidence there is, that the brand they prefer is the best. That's human nature.

If you're having trouble getting the hornline to tune to the tuner, then forget the tuner and select the most consistent player to tune to. Hopefully, they won't be too sharp or flat. Have the individuals practice tuning by ear. The tuner is a great tool, but they won't have it on the field or in performance.

Just my opinion. I've been playing close to 45 years in drum corps.

Notch system works very well IF you are playing on matched horns with all the same mouthpieces. If not, the marks are useful only in terms of, "pull out one mark, pull out two marks," when correcting individuals (or a section due to temperature).

Overall, I thoroughly support the use of marks and am glad to have them on the horns in my line.

Notches are not necessary on some of the horns I own. Pushed in all the way at room temperature and still flat. At 50F in Rochester, forget about it. Although at 85F and warmer in direct sunlight the tuning slide might actually need to be moved.