Bluecoats in 7th?

Let's just remember back to last season ... the Bluecoats were "ahead" of SCV and Cadets all season, fell behind Cadets in quarters, were behind both SCV and Cadets in semifinals and had EVERYONE talking about how they peaked to soon (just like this season) ... and then they jumped back in front of both on Finals night to take 4th.

Two years ago, they lost to Madison in quarterfinals for the 11th time in 11 meeting up to that point in the season (I think it was 11) ... then tied them in semifinals and beat them for 5th place in Finals.

Three years ago, the Bluecoats took 6th in quarters, fell to 7th behind CCrown in semifinals, then jumped back in front of CCrown in Finals.

This Bluecoats staff knows how to push the right buttons -- at least they have for the last three-to-five years. In fact, the Bluecoats haven't finished Finals with a lower placement than the previous year since then fell to 13th and missed Finals in 1999 (12th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th -- which means five straight seasons of matching or beating their highest placement ever).

Will they hold that form again this week? Who knows. CCrown has been right behind the Bluecoats on their steady climb the past few years. Phantom has pulled out awesome advancements in Finals week before, including jumping Blue Devils for 2nd place last season. And SCV is, well, SCV.

But man -- the Bluecoats ... MY Bluecoats ... who were always seemingly on the cusp of NOT even making Finals every year (even though they've made Finals 19 of the last 20 years) ... well, they're challenging for the Top 3.

The Bluecoats scored their two highest July scores EVER this season. Their score from Sunday night was their highest ever "regular season" score, and those three scores I just mentioned are three of the four highest scores they've ever gotten outside of quarters, semi's and finals. In fact, their 93.475 from Sunday night was their third highest score EVER -- period.

They won Brass in Murf, Atlanta and San Antonio, tripling the number of times they had EVER won a sub-caption at an everybody's-there regional (only once before, in 1999 Preview of Championship prelims in Madison in field percussion). They also won overall music in San Antonio, the first time they've ever taken an entire caption at a major regional.

They beat Blue Devils for the first time ever, and beat Cavies for the first time since 1988. They beat Cadets for the first time ever last season and topped them again this year, and beat SCV for the first time ever two seasons ago and have in all but one show in the last two years.

So, you ask -- would I be disappointed with the Bluecoats taking 7th?? Absolutely, considering they're currently seeded fourth.

BUT, then again, with all they've built and accomplished this season and in the past few seasons, can I be anything but proud ... nope. They're my corps and I'm more proud than anyone with what they've become.

Six words, my friends. Six words.

ditto, my blue friends, ditto!!! :unsure:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was so last week though. It's a new week.

Here's the deal. Visual usually outpaces music in the recent history of this activity. I think it will be the closest top 7 ever. It's already been forecast since Allentown. There should be lots of movement between QF-Semis-Finals nights.

Predictions are pretty pointless. I believe Cavies, Regiment, Bluecoats, Crown, SCV will jostle around later this week for 3-7. Looks like the top 2 are set but not necessarily in their current order either.

OK...since I like being pointless...

QF Top 7

Cadets

Blue Devils

Cavies

Regiment

Bluecoats

Crown

SCV

Semis

Blue Devils

Cadets

Regiment

Cavies

Bluecoats

Crown

SCV

Finals

Blue Devils

Regiment

Cadets

Bluecoats

Cavies

Crown

SCV

And of course I will asterisk this with the cards could easily shuffle in another direction as well. And I admit...I have a bias against narration so it can cloud my judgement at times.

Wow, I would think Phantom has the least potential to pull upsets in the top 6 or 7.

Nope.

1- BD/cadets

2- cadets/BD

3- cavies

4- bluecoats

thats why i got.

Unless Cavies have a cleaning towel better than everyone else and has a way to put a better ending on their show...I have them about 5th on Saturday.

Replace Cavies with Regiment and I'll buy that. In case you haven't seen it lately, the birds are flying.

Edited by Tom Brace

Unless Cavies have a cleaning towel better than everyone else and has a way to put a better ending on their show...I have them about 5th on Saturday.

Replace Cavies with Regiment and I'll buy that. In case you haven't seen it lately, the birds are flying.

...whatever...

and yes, i've seen phantom recently, and I can't seem them in the top 3.

Seriously? I can't really see Cavies winning this year, but c'mon... 5th? There is no way that's happening. You and I both know that. They'll be in 2nd or 3rd. That's a fact.

Yes, Phantom is surging, but the highest they will go is 4th. That won't be an easy task though, as that means they have to pass up Bluecoats, who are every bit as good as Phantom is, if not a lot better.