Star of Indiana had a nice idea...

No one has shown a business case that supports both. In the case of Star of Indiana, there is no longer an opportunity for young people in Indiana to march in drum corps because a decision was made in the early 90's to divert the funds that had been earmarked for that activity to an activity for professionals. Bad choice; you'll never convince me otherwise.

If the best funded drum corps organization ever didn't propose or produce a model that would support both activities, I highly doubt anyone else can or will. And with all the other venues available for professional musicians, I'll support the drum corps endeavor each and every time.

Karen

Unfortunately, Star didn't have a perpetual/self sufficient method for creating funds...bus lines are not a high margin industry. Basically, Bill wrote checks...I guess I'm getting off topic though. They couldn't have done both unless Bill wanted to write checks for both.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Star didn't have a perpetual/self sufficient method for creating funds...bus lines are not a high margin industry. Basically, Bill wrote checks...I guess I'm getting off topic though. They couldn't have done both unless Bill wanted to write checks for both.

Bill had several companies who were created to fund the drum corps, and I don't believe the sum of their profits covered everything. There were, indeed, other checks being written.

My point is the same, though: with a limited pool of money (whatever its source), I would choose to allocate those funds to youth, amateur, marching activities that don't allow woodwinds and are not affiliated with a particular school. Oh yeah, drum corps. :doh:

Cheers!

Karen

My point is the same, though: with a limited pool of money (whatever its source), I would choose to allocate those funds to youth, amateur, marching activities that don't allow woodwinds and are not affiliated with a particular school. Oh yeah, drum corps. :doh:

Cheers!

Karen

too true :) ...such is life...note to self: leave those scabs alone.

too true :) ...such is life...note to self: leave those scabs alone.

I think I have some turf spray that works well on those Ben.....

:P

I can appreciate the desire to see an activity that we are all fans of gain greater popularity and exposure but this is the same type of delusion as soccer fans who think it will someday be a popular professional sport in America. Never happened. Never will. Same thing applies to drum corps.

Guess which sport now has the highest audience attendance (youth, amateur and professional combined) of any in America?

Guess which sport now has the highest youth participation of any in America?

Guess which youth sport in America had more than 70% growth in participation over the last 10 years?

Yep. Soccer.

Another contributing factor to the inevitable growth in popularity of soccer in America is the growing immigrant population, most notably the growth in Hispanic population.

These youth participants will mature into active fans within the next 15 years. At the same time, the US, for the very first time, is attracting major international soccer stars to play for US teams. The last 20 or so years of focus on the youth market is starting to change the sports landscape in America. While pretty much all other traditional sports are in decline, soccer is booming.

Guess which sport now has the highest audience attendance (youth, amateur and professional combined) of any in America?

Guess which sport now has the highest youth participation of any in America?

Guess which youth sport in America had more than 70% growth in participation over the last 10 years?

Yep. Soccer.

Another contributing factor to the inevitable growth in popularity of soccer in America is the growing immigrant population, most notably the growth in Hispanic population.

These youth participants will mature into active fans within the next 15 years. At the same time, the US, for the very first time, is attracting major international soccer stars to play for US teams. The last 20 or so years of focus on the youth market is starting to change the sports landscape in America. While pretty much all other traditional sports are in decline, soccer is booming.

I for one don't believe that first statistic you cited. There's no way soccer outdraws football at any level. Football is not in decline. Hockey and basketball are the only big four sports in decline, and only at the pro level. But your points about participatory growth are well taken, and certainly more important.

I for one don't believe that first statistic you cited. There's no way soccer outdraws football at any level. Football is not in decline. Hockey and basketball are the only big four sports in decline, and only at the pro level. But your points about participatory growth are well taken, and certainly more important.

Football is in massive decline in the youth market... not only in numbers, but in $$$.

I know this from working with the NFL on a frantic project to bolster interest in the youth market (http://www.gamedaymedia.com). More young boys could identify Tony Hawk than could any NFL quarterback.

Video games and alternative sports (skate, snowboard, BMX, blade, etc.) are the largest reason for this decline.

Soccer is different, since kids can participate at a younger age than football and is often mixed gender at young ages (mixed gender accounts for a significant increase in participation compared to football, baseball, basketball). This is key to the growth of soccer.

When I am talking about soccer outdrawing football in terms of raw numbers of spectators... consider every single community across the country is flooded with multiple soccer matches all weekend long and many weeknights. These are hundreds of thousands of small events that all add up.