Div II/III Prelims Review with Pictures

I spent the day at Pasadena City College. This was a very nice venue, though a little small for a championship. The crowd seemed to enjoy the shows. Too bad more people weren't there. I look forward to II/III prelims every year. So many of these corps I've not seen yet, so the shows are all fresh. Performers are at the top of their game. Tuesday would have been my mother's 73rd birthday. She's the one who is responsible for me discovering drum corps, so I thought about her frequently throughout the day. My focus was on taking pictures. I only have a few notes on each corps.

Blue Devils C - The competition started with a very entertaining rendition of Greece. What struck me the most was how well their young guard sold the show. They really put out a great performance.

div23-32.jpg

Spirit of NJ - Great to see this group made it to California. Their jazz themed show featured some great trumpet work. The double bass drum helped add musically and was fun to watch.

div23-57.jpg

Racine Scouts - 80th anniversary of the corps turns the clock back to 1927. My mother would have loved this show. Great fun music - Old Man River, Blue Skies, Someone to Watch Over Me among others. Guard really sold the dance feature. During Sweet Georgia Brown one of the snares spins a basketball while playing with the other hand and wearing a Harlem Globetrotters jersey. Loved the NY Yankees jersey on the tenor player in honor of the 1927 team.

div23-87.jpg

H. Y. P. E. - performed Dark Side of Oz including some selections from the Wizard of Oz along with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. The poppy scene that put the corps to sleep was a fun idea.

div23-114.jpg

Mystical - First time ever seeing this corps. The show was called "Olympia The Ancient Gods". Enjoyed the drum line. Great to see cymbals on the field. The guard was very expressive - especially in the dance feature. Loved their weapons work. Later in the day some of their guard sat near me and when I heard they were from Mystikal, I checked my notes and told them how much they impressed me. Apparently they have been working on being more expressive, so they were so excited to hear they were. Very nice group of kids.

div23-147.jpg

Gold - First time seeing this corps too. Nice to see so many California corps I don't normally get to see. Their Spanish Gold was very enjoyable. Loved their pit - very expressive and interactive. Big sound for their size. Strong trumpet soloist. Good use of the field spreading out to the 20s.

div23-179.jpg

Spokane Thunder - "24 Hour Suite" goes through a day cycle with focus on a clock. First corps with an amped pit. Nice body work by the brass. Great flag work.

div23-210.jpg

Citations - Passions of a Latin Groove features some great pieces. Pit setup with keys very angled so they were almost facing each other. At one point they did a little "lean" like BAC.

div23-250.jpg

Thanks you for the wonderful pictures and review!

As a drum corps fan, this is a show which I would really have loved to attend. Unfortunately, the distance was just too much for us to travel this year. As a drum corps mom, I was happy two years ago, when these pre-lims were in Brockton. I was able to not only see my kid's corps, but I enjoyed sitting through the whole show and getting to see all the Diviosn II and III corps.

Although we were unable to make the trip this year. I am happy for the west coast parents and fans that this year at long last they have a turn to see their kids and all the corps.

I spent the day at Pasadena City College. This was a very nice venue, though a little small for a championship. The crowd seemed to enjoy the shows. Too bad more people weren't there. I look forward to II/III prelims every year. So many of these corps I've not seen yet, so the shows are all fresh. Performers are at the top of their game. Tuesday would have been my mother's 73rd birthday. She's the one who is responsible for me discovering drum corps, so I thought about her frequently throughout the day. My focus was on taking pictures. I only have a few notes on each corps.

Blue Devils C - The competition started with a very entertaining rendition of Greece. What struck me the most was how well their young guard sold the show. They really put out a great performance.

div23-32.jpg

Spirit of NJ - Great to see this group made it to California. Their jazz themed show featured some great trumpet work. The double bass drum helped add musically and was fun to watch.

div23-57.jpg

Racine Scouts - 80th anniversary of the corps turns the clock back to 1927. My mother would have loved this show. Great fun music - Old Man River, Blue Skies, Someone to Watch Over Me among others. Guard really sold the dance feature. During Sweet Georgia Brown one of the snares spins a basketball while playing with the other hand and wearing a Harlem Globetrotters jersey. Loved the NY Yankees jersey on the tenor player in honor of the 1927 team.

div23-87.jpg

H. Y. P. E. - performed Dark Side of Oz including some selections from the Wizard of Oz along with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. The poppy scene that put the corps to sleep was a fun idea.

div23-114.jpg

Mystical - First time ever seeing this corps. The show was called "Olympia The Ancient Gods". Enjoyed the drum line. Great to see cymbals on the field. The guard was very expressive - especially in the dance feature. Loved their weapons work. Later in the day some of their guard sat near me and when I heard they were from Mystikal, I checked my notes and told them how much they impressed me. Apparently they have been working on being more expressive, so they were so excited to hear they were. Very nice group of kids.

div23-147.jpg

Gold - First time seeing this corps too. Nice to see so many California corps I don't normally get to see. Their Spanish Gold was very enjoyable. Loved their pit - very expressive and interactive. Big sound for their size. Strong trumpet soloist. Good use of the field spreading out to the 20s.

div23-179.jpg

Spokane Thunder - "24 Hour Suite" goes through a day cycle with focus on a clock. First corps with an amped pit. Nice body work by the brass. Great flag work.

div23-210.jpg

Citations - Passions of a Latin Groove features some great pieces. Pit setup with keys very angled so they were almost facing each other. At one point they did a little "lean" like BAC.

div23-250.jpg

Chris--- thanks so much for your outstanding photographs. You not only have technical skill, but a good eye for what to shoot. I put a link to your Spokane Thunder photos on our website.... www.spokanethunder.org. Thanks again!