Question for Mellophone players.

rosski47

If you're not adapted to either mouthpiece, then go with a mellophone mouthpiece. As far as mouthpieces, the Bach mello 6 is huge with the wrong shank for most modern mellos. But it lets you play really loud and sound like a lead bari. The Conn CKB mello 6 is smallish, if trumpet is your main, this piece might suit you. I just picked up a Kanstul M6 and it looks like the Conn, but much deeper. I can't wait to get back to Texas to try it out. Beyond that a Mello 6V might do. YMMV

Audition on whatever works best for you. But you'll most likely end up playing on what they tell you to play on. If you have some prep time, you can inquire from the corps in question and practice/work accordingly.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tonight I played a mello and tried out both mouthpieces.

Definitely more comfortable on the mello mouthpeice.

Thanks for all the sugggestions everyone!

So tonight I played a mello and tried out both mouthpieces.

Definitely more comfortable on the mello mouthpeice.

Thanks for all the sugggestions everyone!

-----------------------

hi.

first - if you have a particular corps (or plural) in mind that you plan on auditioning for, you may want to visit that corps' website, and learn who the brass caption head is. shoot them an email, and ask if they use matching equipment (most likely that will be the case), and what size(s) and/or makes they "reccomend" (hint hint wink wink nudge nudge). Alot of lines are using Curry or the standard 6v. I've posted before that my own personal preference (and reccomendation) is the Curry T1F - it's the biggest one they make. My suggestion to you, though, would be to begin getting used to the equipment that you will be asked to play on - BEFORE you audition. Nothing worse than having to make an awkward mouthpiece transition - especially if you want to be assured of:

a. landing a spot, and b. keeping it.

I'm still scratching my head over the idea of running a FH mouthpiece in a mellophone...

...seems to me the worst feature of a FH is the mouthpiece....at least for marching...

Edited by GuyW

I'm still scratching my head over the idea of running a FH mouthpiece in a mellophone...

...seems to me the worst feature of a FH is the mouthpiece....at least for marching...

There are some FH mouthpieces that "are" marchable. And some prefer the sound of a severe V cup piece. Not that it's a match made in heaven, but it is workable to a limited extent. In some respects it is easier to march a mello on a french horn mouthpiece than it is a french horn on a french horn mouthpiece.

There are some FH mouthpieces that "are" marchable. And some prefer the sound of a severe V cup piece. Not that it's a match made in heaven, but it is workable to a limited extent. In some respects it is easier to march a mello on a french horn mouthpiece than it is a french horn on a french horn mouthpiece.

There's only one reason that remotely makes enough sense to perpetuate this madness - the natural range of the instrument. Get an arranger that sets the parts in the proper range, and there's nothing like having both french horns and mellos (and even flugels) in the alto voice. All on the correct mouthpiece!

Playing a mello on a french horn piece is like playing a french horn with incorrect embouchure and intonation nightmares.

For the purpose of the audition, I would say play on whatever mouthpiece you are more comfortable with - the corps you march with will tell you what mouthpiece they prefer you to use during the season.

If you are auditioning on a Mellophone, you should use a Mellophone mouthpiece. The only exception I could think of is if you can't get a sound out of the Mello m'piece and you sound great on a FH m'piece with an adapter.

To all those who think a FH mouthpiece is somehow not suitable for marching - don't be silly. They were used for decades. yes, Mellos are easier to play while marching. But French Horns sound great on the field.