Question for Mellophone players.

rosski47

To all those who think a FH mouthpiece is somehow not suitable for marching - don't be silly. They were used for decades. yes, Mellos are easier to play while marching. But French Horns sound great on the field.

Yeah. Learn how to march with a frenchie and you won't ever have a problem with your footwork again. Corps OR band.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....To all those who think a FH mouthpiece is somehow not suitable for marching - don't be silly. They were used for decades. yes, Mellos are easier to play while marching. But French Horns sound great on the field.

But of course - Kingsmen Alumni Corps marched 18 FHs....so my comments weren't intended to be that FH doesn't sound good or is unplayable while marching...just that it's more of a challenge than other MPs.

Edited by GuyW

I use a Curry Precision 5 TF. I've been a G Bugle mellophone player for a very long time and just switched to the F horn this year and this mouthpiece seems to help me a lot.

Good luck with it. GREAT CHOICE OF AN INSTRUMENT!

I use a Curry Precision 5 TF. I've been a G Bugle mellophone player for a very long time and just switched to the F horn this year and this mouthpiece seems to help me a lot.

I know I've said this in many threads along the same lines as this, but I prefer a Curry as well. I've used a 1TF before, but prefer a 3TF at this point, just for the extra security in the upper range.

I would like to second the Curry Mouthpieces. I used the Curry 3TF this year with my Mello and it was a friggin' great mouthpiece and the sound was rich and full. Also if you ever have a question about the mouthpiece you can email mark Curry and he will get back to you.