my semifinals review

Here is my semifinals review.....I had a great seat on the 48 yard line.......big crowd, perfect weather.....

Pacific Crest....I apologize, as I didn't see them...bad traffic, and I missed their start by 2 minutes.............

Crossmen.......the return of the capes was very effective and great.....could have been special if they kept them on througout the show...percussion and guard were pretty strong, as was visual program......musically they were ok, but lacked impact and the arrangements just didn't make it for me.........a young corps with much to build on, though......

Madison....considering they pretty much did a new drill during the season, they are well on their way back...they were quite respectable, and I found the show to be entertaining. I think they have a great young membership to build on, and I expect they will rebound quickly on the competitive front.....

Blue Stars.........opening hit was awesome.....drill and show were interesting.........closing arrangement didn't work for me...I think a better chart there could have put them in........they have a solid program..this would have been in finals many years....

Academy.....I was very impressed...a variety of style within the show, handled very well....I felt their musical book, from demand, performance, and effect...was superior to Spirit.....I am not a guard person, and I believe that may have been what kept them out, but I do believe the edge in music should have been bigger and enough......all that said, this young corps really made it interesting in their very first year of division I.......

Spirit..........they performed well in all captions. That said, the show just didn't make it for me from an arrangement/musical effect standpoint, and I think that execution should not be the only consideration in effect, which is where I felt their program was lacking...........I didn't think they should have made finals as a result.....

Glassmen......they carry the gypsy theme well....arrangements seemed good in some places, and a bit too much of a stretch in others......overall solid corps.....

Colts.....I enjoyed their musical program, and visual coordination was good as well.....Colts have made a strong return to finals, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next year...............

Boston.....solid in all captions.....unlike many, I actually liked the artist easels and the painting thing......I thought they played well, but need more exciting arrangements....La Fiesta was not the exciting chart it should be......I get the feeling this corps could go further with a better musical product.......

Blue Knights.....best BK in many years....brass very full in sound, demanding, well-written book....solid visual, and solid in all captions....the 90 mark well earned this week........solid job....

Bluecoats..........I know that they were not pleased with 7th, but this is a reflection of how good the top 7 were....they carried the Criminal theme well, and performed well in all captions. Not my favorite music book, but they performed well, and many loved it........

Crown........perhaps my favorite show of the year.....arrangements are superb, horn quality of sound was fabulous and not fully recognized by the judging community....the combination of the above, with a vastly improved percussion section that is on their way (maybe not quite yet at championship level, but getting there fast)...this show was VERY effective musically, and that also was not fully reflected all year long....good visual coordination, and a great guard......a great year, and I can't wait to see what they come up with for next year.............

Santa Clara.....I loved their show....great musical book, presented well visually, lots of energy, and I thought they were strong......I had them closer in score to those above them....

Phantom.....they performed extremely well......great impacts, strong brass/percussion performance....visual was good but I think they were a bit stronger the past few years there......also, Firebird arrangement didn't make it for me, but they sold their program.........

Cavaliers.............stellar visually...........musical problems include too much down time in brass, and a serious lack of impact/dynamic contrast, in the second half especially. I think some judges are starting to recognize this, but I can't see how this program got a 19.5 in music effect, when IMO several programs below them seemed far more effective musically......I thought they were overscored/overranked........

Cadets.....after last night's fiasco, they turned it on..........I am not a narration fan, but I am sorry for those who could not appreciate the great drum corps behind it, as they were.....huge impact, great brass demand/performance, solid arrangements, and solid percussion.....strong visual demand......I thought they may win a close battle here, but they lost by the slimmest of margins.......

Devils.....strong performance....great lead soprano line.......I really liked the opener, and they closed strong as well...they worked hard to sell the program, and although it wasn't one of my favorite BD shows, they were successful.......

Anaheim Kingsmen alumni.....what a great project...they were totally successful at recreating their glory years....I loved it, and so did the crowd..........

GB