Bass drum audition for drum corps

azwethinkweizm

This year I plan on auditioning for a Division III drum corps as a bass drummer. The only problem is that I've never been to an audition like this before. I decided that jumping the gun to Div I was a huge step for me so I decided to start low and work my way up.

My playing skills are good and I march decent. Any advice?

Concentrate on proper stroke technique and mallet placement (different feel for different size drums). Also jumping into the middle of 16th note and 32nd triplet phrases even down to individual isolated single notes. SUBDIVIDE.Use a metronome.Use total dynamic range including accents.Good luck!

Subdivide, subdivide, subdivide. Like the guy says, use a metronome. Placement can be different with different corps, so find out where they play. Most play dead center, but there are some that like to play a bit north of the normal position. Look at music that might have beat changes, where one section is playing one rythem while basses play completly another. And The best advice I ever got was to use a recorder of some kind, tripilet 16th and 32nd strokes that seem fine to your ear, might sound like garbage when you play them back. Good luck, hope you make it!!

Subdividing is key as previously stated.

Get a heavy hitter bass pad from Vic Firth. Seriously. It will be your best friend. It does a good job of letting you know when you are playing out of center (or desired playing position) It also allows you to see your mallet stroke. This helps you make sure your left to right hands are making even strokes to avoid runs from sounding choppy. Also you will be playing on a vertical surface which will force you stick more diddles rather then relying on gravity to help you out.

Work on timing your runs with your feet. This is a major help with difficult syncipated patterns.

Work on increasing your volume without increasing your mallet stroke. A lot of bass drummers (especially young ones) tend to equate loud with big arm motion. Technically that is true but 9 times out of 10 it will cause you to drag. Especially with sustained runs of 3's and 4's.

Learn the check pattern of the run first. If you can't get the check chances are the run won't be as good as it could be. If you are having troubles slow it down and break it down.

Stay relaxed and fluid. Playing bass drum is about flowing. It's hard to flow when your shoulders are up past your ears and you are trying to stick everything with your arms.

That is all. Go kick some butt. Good luck!

Edited by KiltieBD3

Practice man.

Get some good books like the rudimental cook book.

Go in with the right attitude, and keep your head up.

• 3 weeks later...

subdivision. practice measure after measure of playing just the second and third note of a set of sixteenth notes or just the third subdivision of a grouping of triplets. At the Div3 level you aren't going to need chops or technique coming in neccessarily. timing is going to be of the most importance to them.

yup. dont worry about having crazy chops. because i dont care what corps you join, your not going to playing it durring a show.

its 100% about Timing. in the Feet, and hands.

Keep the tempo in your feet, keep your hands with your feet.