The DCI Champion is too predictable....

LOL. Your predictions were awful you only have 22 spots this year and some were off by a couple of spots. And guess what ? Predict Cadets, Blue Devils, or Cavaliers, and you are gonna be close, why ?? Because they do what they do BETTER consistently and deserve the title. I dont care if the same corps whoEVER it is wins ten years in a row if they are indeed the best.

Parity?? for what ?? Compete, strive, achieve, be the best.

~G~

Lol...its worse than that. Out of 22 corps, he got exactly 2 right, and those were arguably the easiest to predict (that BD and the cavaliers would be in the top three). Considering they have been 7 of the last 8 years, its hardly a stroke of genius, or a sign of the end times....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the original poster's mention of a new judging system. I don't necessarily agree 100% with the details as described by the OT but I definitely think the judging system in place needs to have some subjectivity taken out of the judges' hands. I have made a post in other threads about show reviews from a panel of judges. This may not be the best way to make the change, but there needs to be something that can be scored that is indisputable. Without that possibility the opinions, political sway, and personal preferences or taste will decide the outcome.

To me, the effect caption should be scratched because of it's current terminology and what it represents. Effect should be just that, an effect. Too often and in too many circumstances effect is measured drastically different by different people. Different things effect each of us in different doses. What one judge might view as very effective may not strike someone else as such. I fully believe that the judge's opinion should effect the score less.

Edited by MelloDisciple

I expected Academy to make the top 17, based upon on well they performed last year at DIV 2. However, I didnt expect them to be knocking on the top 12 door in 1 year at DIV 1. No DIV 2 corps has ever made top 12 the following year after winning DIV 2 and then competing at the DIV 1 level the next season.

Seattle Cascades actually went from 2nd place in Div II in 2001 to 12th place in Div I in 2002. Besides Magic, which has been brought up.

How interesting, I was 100% correct of getting all 5 in the top 5 and I predicted the winner and 3rd place. What a coincidence...

And a wonderful coincidence it was. Statistically speaking there's no meaningful conclusion that can be drawn from the fact that you picked the winner and bronze medalist correctly. What's more statistically relevant (but only slightly) is the groupings and how grouping placement can be reasonably predicted year-to-year.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of his post.

it doesn't matter how accurate/innacurate his predictions were-

the bottom line is that too much predictability is a bad thing.

that he would predict BD for first place and not a single person would speak up and say "nah, i think they're having an off year and won't make finals." speaks volumes about how little positions change in DCI.

that he would predict BD for first place and not a single person would speak up and say "nah, i think they're having an off year and won't make finals." speaks volumes about how little positions change in DCI.

It may also speak volumes about the consistency of excellence of some instructional programs.

well obviously sports are different...more player focused and the whole draft and trading thing gives a little more parity, but my point is that knowing things about the teams each year, we can make pretty good guesses as to how good they will be (hint: The redskins will still be terrible) the same way that we can pretty much predict BD Cadets and Cavies will be somewhere in the top 5 next year.

in other words, predictability is a natural result in any competitive activity.

If DCI is unpredictable every year, then something is wrong with DCI...

An upset in DCI would be Pacific Crest or Pioneer, For example winning DCI. Thats an upset. Not one of the 6 who have already won the championship. An upset in DCI would be SOMEONE NEW.... the relative word is new winning DCI.

An upset in DCI would be Pacific Crest or Pioneer, For example winning DCI. Thats an upset. Not one of the 6 who have already won the championship. An upset in DCI would be SOMEONE NEW.... the relative word is new winning DCI.

So you are telling me, honestly telling me, that Madison winning (or even scv) dci this year would not have been an upset. There's this thing called context - figure out which kind you're in :P

Not rtying to take anything away from 2 time DCI World Champion Program the Madison Scouts, Love the corps and what it does. Would love to see them win it more. I think your are missing the point to the upset. YOu chose a corp that has already won a championship and would be more likely to win a title again over someone like I mentioned. The word upset in relative terms means, someone you would least likely win the title.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of his post.

it doesn't matter how accurate/innacurate his predictions were-

the bottom line is that too much predictability is a bad thing.

You hit the NAIL on the head. Finally someone who views my point as a true issue in DCI. Like I said before, this topic is not directed towards the student-musicians or the corps organization names themselves. Maybe DCI will wake up and see the point I am trying to make.