Custom FH mouthpiece questions

stifled4mallettechnique

Since I can't seem to get a response from Kanstul...... :(

How big can one safely go on a custom French Horn mouthpiece without completely losing intonation and character? I was thinking about something around 20mm, with a fairly wide rim that would stay on my face better while marching.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Even from those of you that will tell me to just practice more. :P

You can get up to 20mm if you want. Wider mouthpieces like this really aren't that uncommon among horn players from the UK and other places. Look at the Paxman line of mouthpieces as well as the PHC (Paxman-Halstead-Chiddell) line. They have some in wider diameters that might be of interest.

Since I can't seem to get a response from Kanstul...... :(

How big can one safely go on a custom French Horn mouthpiece without completely losing intonation and character? I was thinking about something around 20mm, with a fairly wide rim that would stay on my face better while marching.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Even from those of you that will tell me to just practice more. :P

You don't say what Kanstul frenchie you want to use. I have used the G model with some pretty large mouthpieces, and with some smaller ones. I think the rim is more of a control issue, than a match for the horn. If you're trying to play some intricate stuff while moving you will probably have problems regardless of the mouthpiece. Will get back to you with the specific pieces I used, and what I liked about them. I haven't played that horn in over a year and can't remember what I was using.

I spoke with a guy named Bill Carmichael who is a professional trumpet player. I had showed him my CG3 (Claude Gordon design), which was purchaced from Claude Gordon's site but is also available through Kanstul, and he said that it had quite a bite, or had quite an edge from the inside of the rim to the top of the cup. It actually reminded him of a fh piece in general. So, perhaps the bite is also a key factor...doesn't every fh peice have wicked bite, anyway?

Thanks guys! I'm actually playing an old Dynasty G, but with a Kanstul-inspired leadpipe mod. I was hoping Kanstul might do something custom for me. I'll check out the suggestions you've given me. THX!

(EDIT) LOL Look what I found on eBay while searching! http://cgi.ebay.com/WAREHOUSE-SALE-4-VALVE...0.c50.m22.l1101 Who couldn't use a cornet with an "inbuilt" mute?

(ANOTHER EDIT) What a coincidence! I got an email from Kanstul today! Anyway, Jim told me to just use a FH mouthpiece. Oh well, somebody else will take my money, I guess... (END EDIT)

Edited by stifled4mallettechnique

Thanks guys! I'm actually playing an old Dynasty G, but with a Kanstul-inspired leadpipe mod. I was hoping Kanstul might do something custom for me. I'll check out the suggestions you've given me. THX!

(EDIT) LOL Look what I found on eBay while searching! http://cgi.ebay.com/WAREHOUSE-SALE-4-VALVE...0.c50.m22.l1101 Who couldn't use a cornet with an "inbuilt" mute?

(ANOTHER EDIT) What a coincidence! I got an email from Kanstul today! Anyway, Jim told me to just use a FH mouthpiece. Oh well, somebody else will take my money, I guess... (END EDIT)

I've played on one of those old Die-Nasty 2V G frenchies. I don't think anything will help that monster. Intonation wasn't in the vocabulary. The best sound made on that horn would be the crunching sounds when placed under a bus wheel.

Oh, BTW, that Kanstul-inspired leadpipe is what I refer to as the "Santa Clara kick".

IMO, the best frenchie bugles made were the King 2V, Olds long-wrap, Conn (G-D), and the Getzen "Concert model" with the thin bell.

Forgot to check on my MP's last night. Will try harder this time.

There's a number of signature type pieces in use by symphony players that are in the 19mm / 18mm(Stork O6/C?#B) size range. So that's not that extreme per say. Although 20mm might make the upper end of the horn more difficult.

I tend to use the Bach 10S(16.80mm) over the Schilke 30(17.03mm) because the smaller inner rim helps me maintain and hit the higher notes. But the Schilke 30 slots a little better for me on most of my current horns. The Bach is also closer matched to my other pieces that I use. The G&W Dave Hickman(16.78mm) for Trumpet. And the Conn CKB M6 for mellophone is also about 16.7mm-ish.

I played a Deg on a Schilke 31 for a very short period. It slotted good on that piece, but tended to give a bit of feedback/resistance when pushing the upper volume levels. Something smaller than a 31 might yield better results on that horn. With as large of a throat as you can get. Bachs and Schilkes have decent rims suitable for marching. Others tend towards the razor edge to aid in flexibility. Like my Stork M1.

Forgot to check on my MP's last night. Will try harder this time.

I checked the MP's...

I have a Bach 5BW that is good for most work. Deep V cup and very open. The other piece, the one I used for the high stuff, is a Gardinelli(sp?) C15. Smaller all around. Both pieces have a similar "bite", with a rounded edge that makes for better comfort when moving one's feet.

I've seen Parduba's with a french horn shank, and I know that drum corps icon Pepe Notaro used a trumpet piece with a french horn shank. I still don't know how he could control THAT thing.

He, Mr. Nalls, what are the Renegades (and you) using?

I'm dropped an email to a gentleman in the Phoenix area that makes some nice looking custom pieces. Here's his site. Once I get his feedback on the suitability of what I think I want, I'll probably be in business. In the meantime, I'll keep checking out your suggestions.

I'm using a 31B now and it's not bad, and obviously with the old horn I'm playing I can't blame slotting issues on it. (Maybe I just need to get the loose nut behind the mouthpiece fixed!)

I'm using a 31B now and it's not bad, and obviously with the old horn I'm playing I can't blame slotting issues on it. (Maybe I just need to get the loose nut behind the mouthpiece fixed!)

My Schilke 31 is one of the worst slotting pieces I own. It would be the worse if it wasn't for the Kelly MDC. Not that there's anything wrong with that in a concert horn / standing still type performance. But throw that piece on a marching field, and it's pure frustration.

There a few modular makes out there, if you want to go that route.

Moosewood

http://www.hornmouthpiece.com/

Osmun

http://www.osmun.com/