The cult of drum corps

I've gone the professional musician route and know the pitfalls. I also know its successes. As hard as it is getting jobs as a new session musician, it's 10 times harder getting the full-time employment in DCI. There's just not very many jobs. Like I said, I understand that concern.

Do you or the father have reason to believe that he wants to pursue a full time career in drum corps?

Besides, what is full time employment in drum corps? Is there such a thing? Even the designers and instructors at the top of the game do not count on drum corps for their livelihood. The only individuals that I know of that make a living off of drum corps alone are full time corps managers, very few full time directors, and those working in the DCI office...and those are positions that an uber-talented percussionist will not want to pursue. Once this kid sticks around drum corps, he'll find that out, wouldn't you think?

Edited by ssorrell

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you or the father have reason to believe that he wants to pursue a full time career in drum corps?

I'd say there's very good reason to believe it. The kid cares about nothing but music. He's always been that way, but that's the way his father was when we were in high school, so his father can't complain there. :P Everything he had done leading up to this previous summer was to gear up for a career as a musician. Now he can't think about anything but drum corps.

He's a junior, at a time when he needs to be thinking about SATs and college applications. He's spent the previous summers at camps that allowed him to be introduced to folks like Ed Soph -- it was his grand plan to get a leg up on getting into the more prestigious percussion performance colleges. He's no longer pursuing that plan and his father is more than anxious for him to at least follow up on something -- at least as a fall back plan in case his new pursuits don't show a future for him.

I think the thing I'm getting at is at what point does DCI stop being a great activity and become a distraction? Tom's been a very diligent student but his father is concerned he's not even putting the effort into his coursework anymore (sticks and drum pad from the moment he walks in the door until the lights go out for bedtime) ... but it's not something they can address until they can confirm there's a problem. I guess he'll know later this semester. They're more concerned about his total alienation of outside life. He doesn't appear to have any friends, although he apparently has something of a girlfriend five states over he met in corps. They exchange e-mail or something. Doesn't appear serious, but she seems to be the only person outside of his family he has any meaningful contact with.

I'm a HUGE DCI supporter. I believe they do teach great skills and it's just really hard to beat the quality of education and musical ensemble experience for that age group. OTOH, it's hard to overcome stories like this. I know my friend is telling other band directors in the area about his son and with a local corps trying to get its footing, I'm working overtime to come up with the right kind of explanation to put a stop to it before it becomes a real attitude in the local music programs. Everyone's responses have been really helpful, but what I don't think is helpful right now is righteous indignation and getting defensive. I'M NOT QUESTIONING THE GOOD FRUIT. I'm merely pointing out a weakness here that I need help addressing.

I'll redirect the topic and ask more directly: How have you or would you respond to this type of situation?

As the father of a 16-year-old, let me say if it weren't DCI it would be something else. At that age some kids think only about getting into college, or cars, or girls (or boys), or drugs etc, while others are more well-rounded. Your friend just needs to be patient. Whether he goes down the path to being a great jazz drummer at 16 or at 25, he will still be a young man when he figures out what he really wants to do.

And I would echo what Bob J says above.

I too have teenagers...things that they were really into 6 months ago have now become passe. Of course, we are talking serious issues with this kid...the child's future, but heck, he's only 16 or 17! Give him time. Be patient. Pushing a kid towards a specific goal when it's apparent he's in the middle of identity crisis might be the worst thing anyone can do.

Yeah...he's a junior, and you believe he needs to focus on SATs and College applications...how about letting the kid be a kid? Sure, those things are important, but that's not the only thing in his life. He can focus on those elements when needed and still have plenty of time for girlfriends, drum corps, school, and a host of other things.

I don't think there's enough proof based on what you've shared with us to come to the conclusion that he wants to persue a career in drum corps. Okay...so he was focused on a music career before this summer when he started marching and now he doesn't seem to be...the kid is getting older and more mature...more exposed to other things that might interest him. My daughter for 10 years has had only one career goal in mind...to be a veterinarinan. but now as she becomes older and more mature, she is changing her mind repeatedly. The fact is that maybe this kid and the father had pre-determined way too soon that he was to be a professional musician. Decisions like that need to wait until the child grows up, lives a little, and has a chance to figure out what they want to be. I don't care if he's attended camps every summer for 10 years in preparation of going to a great percussion performance school, he's now to the age where making a decision about his future will start to take shape and many things will begin to influence those decisions. Maybe he's been into serious percussion performance for so long that he is burned out? Maybe he needs some time away from it before he can appreciate it again?

If his father is worried that he needs something to fall back on, well...he just needs to relax, IMHO. The kid HAS to make his own choices, good or bad. If he makes the right choices and is able to support himself, good for him. If he fails and has to re-think his career choices, then like Bob J said, he'll still be a young man and have plenty of time to follow whatever path he might choose.

Or the father can stick to his guns and refuse to pay for any schooling other than what meets his approval. That might work, but he'd run the risk of alienating his son.

Besides...you say the kid is no longer following his "grand plan" to go to a major percussion performance school. It's still only September, some schools just started only 2 or 3 weeks ago! Isn't it possible that this is premature speculation?

Edited by ssorrell