Madison 2008 Design Team announced

More exciting news out of Madtown. Although I don't know much about Ken Karlin. Has anyone here seen some of his

drill for James Logan or BDB? :)

http://news.madisonscouts.org/

October 1, 2007 – Madison, WI - Ken Karlin, Vince Oliver, JC Caceres and Roger Carter have been announced as members of the 2008 Madison Scouts design team, which is being led by Ramiro Barrera.

“Chemistry and trust were major considerations for me as I put together our design team,” said Ramiro Barrera, Madison Scouts Program Coordinator. “Aside from being creatively strong, I trust this team to help deliver a product worthy of the Madison Scouts tradition and, at the same time, produce something that is sophisticated and fresh.”

Visual designer Ken Karlin has been writing drills since the early ‘90s, most recently for the Blue Devils “B” corps. His 9-year working relationship with Barrera at James Logan H.S. will serve as a foundation for their working relationship on the design team. “Madison was one of the first corps I ever saw back in the ‘70s, and has always been a great source of inspiration for me. I am privileged to become a small part of this hallowed drum corps heritage.”

Music Arranger Vince Oliver also has an extensive history working with Barrera, having served as the James Logan H.S. marching band music arranger for the past several years. Oliver graduated from University of Southern California where he studied Percussion and Music Composition. He is also a featured performer with the new BLAST! production, M.I.X., which is currently touring in Japan.

JC Caceres returns for his second season as guard designer for the corps. He is best known for his work with Northern Lights Winter Guard. “There’s a lot of positive momentum in Madison. I’m invigorated by the opportunity to work with the guys on this design team.”

The final member of the team, Roger Carter, also returns for his second year as percussion arranger. He and Barrera have worked together for many years at the Blue Devils and James Logan H.S. “To say I’m excited about the design team is an understatement,” said Carter. “I’ve known Ken, Vince and Ramiro for a long time, and they’re true professionals. Working with them and JC is a privilege and I’m fully confident we’re going to put together a memorable production.”

Edited by madalumni

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa...Kenny Karlin...He's an amazing marching tech and I was just wondering today why he's never taken a bigger role somewhere. I have no idea what kind of designer he is, but I'm sure he and Brian Soules will make a great vis team. I guess this means he won't be helping Todd Ryan at BD this summer.

I guess this means he won't be helping Todd Ryan at BD this summer.

I think he is still with the Blue Devils. Just a guess. It's probably not good to make assumptions about people on an open forum and this early in the season.

2008 Madison Scouts design team

Being on the design team doesn't necessarily mean touring with the corps does it? I think he will be a great contributor to the Scouts.

I guess this means he won't be helping Todd Ryan at BD this summer.

With all these staff members from BD making their way to Madison I wonder if Todd Ryan is ever going to come back to his home town.

I still think 1988 Madison is one of the most impressive marching shows I've ever seen. I believe that was Todd's last year with the Scouts

before he went to Star of Ind.

Edited by bass5

With all these staff members from BD making their way to Madison I wonder if Todd Ryan is ever going to come back to his home town.

I still think 1988 Madison is one of the most impressive marching shows I've ever seen. I believe that was Todd's last year with the Scouts

before he went to Star of Ind.

Actually Mike, Todd wrote our drill in 89 and taught us through about April before he

left for Star. It would indeed by great to have him back in Madison but I think it would be

very difficult to pull him away from the great gig that he has now! But I'll try anyway....

Come on, Todd. Come back to Madison. You know you want to! ;)

Jeff...check your pm's

Got it Todd - check yours. :)

Logan HS does Drum Corps!!

They are an amazing group and the design team is at the top of the activity. Good news for Madison.

More great additions!!! Things are looking good for 08.