1965 Vasella Defeats Top Eastern Jrs.

Vasella started out like gang busters, but they faded very quickly during the Summer.

If I am not mistaken they finished in the high teens at the VFW in Chicago.

Every corps they beat early in the Season made the finals such as Boston, SAC, Garfield. St. Lucy's did not attend.

This was the only year the VFW had 15 corps in the finals.

Also they were lost to Boston and Garfield at the CYO Nationals in mid July!!!!

Just thinking of the good old days.

CODI

I remember Vasella from those days and all our first instructors came from Vasella.

Al and Rich Lucia and Joe Marello and later John and Danny Diquattro helped out.

Wasn't Vince Deagan their horn instructor

As I recall Vince was their brass guy and Jerry Powell was the drum major. I saw Jerry at the Norristown Invaders alumni reunion two years ago. Someone told me Danny Diquattro had died but I never had it confirmed. Danny and John were two great soprano players. When they were in the line at Ridley Park Rangers with national champ Ralph Winburg that was one heck of a first soprano section. Would love to hear those guys play together again.

As I recall Vince was their brass guy and Jerry Powell was the drum major. I saw Jerry at the Norristown Invaders alumni reunion two years ago. Someone told me Danny Diquattro had died but I never had it confirmed. Danny and John were two great soprano players. When they were in the line at Ridley Park Rangers with national champ Ralph Winburg that was one heck of a first soprano section. Would love to hear those guys play together again.

Yes ... Danny passed away ... I found out at one of the GAS reunions in NJ around 2001-2002 ... I was stunned when his picture was shown during the RIP segment for that year ... Jimmy Cossetti later confirmed ... Dan and his brother John were part of Sky's 72 corps, which featured 22 lead sopranos ... I thought Vasella's 1965 book was great from start to finish ... magnificent sound for only 28 horns ... a real fun corps to listen to ... one of my favorite shows ...

Andy

Yes ... Danny passed away ... I found out at one of the GAS reunions in NJ around 2001-2002 ... I was stunned when his picture was shown during the RIP segment for that year ... Jimmy Cossetti later confirmed ... Dan and his brother John were part of Sky's 72 corps, which featured 22 lead sopranos ... I thought Vasella's 1965 book was great from start to finish ... magnificent sound for only 28 horns ... a real fun corps to listen to ... one of my favorite shows ...

Andy

I'm bummed about Danny. Hadn't seen him since probably '74 or '75. He was a great guy, a great soprano and trumpet - modest to a fault. I remember seeing some of his iron work too, skilled and a perfectionist.

After our practice he would tell some Sky stories, but sadly, I can't remember them. I just remember the slight smile on his face as he talked about it.