Looking for a Getzen P/R Baby Contra

DPEmerald

Anyone have one they might be selling? Or even an Olds Ultratone P/R. It's for a guy who played one in the 60s and does not want a big contra.

Thanks,

Dale

Edited by DPEmerald

Anyone have one they might be selling? Or even an Olds Ultratone P/R. It's for a guy who played one in the 60s and does not want a big contra.

Thanks,

Dale

Try Dan at Yadco Music 412-824-5578

You might want to ask Derby City Knights to see if they have any left. I got a baby Getzen from them last year, and as far as I know, they still have some Olds and Getzens around.

Prairie Sound has 2 Getzen Piston Rotar Contras.

One with case one without.

PM me and make an offer. We will be putting them on ebay with some other stuff to pay our IRS non profit fees.

Thanks,

Jeff Dancinger.

It's for a guy who played one in the 60s and does not want a big contra.

He played one in the 60s because there was no other choice.

Getzen did not manufacture tubas, so they did not have any of the proper components to make a contra. Their model was a Rube Goldberg contraption. There were no pitch centers below middle C. Hmmmm ..... did I say stuffy?

The Ultratone, in 1969, changed all that. It is a good-playing horn, and not that difficult to manipulate.

He played one in the 60s because there was no other choice.

Getzen did not manufacture tubas, so they did not have any of the proper components to make a contra. Their model was a Rube Goldberg contraption. There were no pitch centers below middle C. Hmmmm ..... did I say stuffy?

The Ultratone, in 1969, changed all that. It is a good-playing horn, and not that difficult to manipulate.

I would concur with that evaluation of the Getzen's playing. And I just happen to have one for sale for $150 plus shipping. (groan … )

It has a usable case that needs some hardware and the horn has one large tubing joint that needs to be re-soldered. It is in very good condition overall and does play. It has the original gooseneck. Slides and valves work well. Horn is in Jackson, MS right now but will be moving (with all of us and all of our mountains of crap) in January to Yazoo City, MS.

Again, these were NOT great playing horns when new. This one is a great example of this very mediocre bugle. But it does have a hard case, all of its parts do work, AND it does actually play (if you can call the pig-like grunts of a Getzen "Baby Contra" playing. Minor work will have it dent and leak free. If your friend knows how these horns play and STILL wants one then look no farther … PM me if he actually is foolishly interested one of these best-forgotten bugles. I would be happy to unload mine!

:blink: ^0^

Edited by Periphery

Thanks,

Dale

Hello Dale,

I have one of each if you are interested. Both are in very good condition. The Olds has a hard case.

You can PM me or get my phone number from Steve Dorgan. Take care.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Dale,

I have one of each if you are interested. Both are in very good condition. The Olds has a hard case.

You can PM me or get my phone number from Steve Dorgan. Take care.

Hi Lou,

I got one in the mail yesterday, it is in great shape. Thanks for the offer, if I need another one I'll get in touch with you.

Dale