Getting Better

I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but why not.

So I've been practicing of snare drum lately. But now it seems I've come to the point where I'm not sure what to practice.

For instance, The Cavaliers have an exercise "Flam I Am" that I've known for a while now. About 8 months ago, I could play it though with some problems. After breaking it down, and probably playing it 1000 times, today I can't seem to play it any better. I hope my chops have improved, as I can play some other exercises better, but some (more than just Flam I Am) don't seem to be getting better.

It seems obvious now that there are better ways for me to practice. I do play a lot of basic, fundamental exercises to but they seem to not be helping much.

I don't know if I'm explaining this well, but I was just wanting some advice on how to practice. I mean, despite putting in countless hours, I don't seem to be able to play the exercises I'm practicing better than before, which is SO ANNOYING!!!

Any advice?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well certainly I'm being picky and for my age I'm good enough, but I don't want to stop until I'm in the Cavaliers (2 years... 3? hopefully no more). And I know I'm getting more and more picky, but that's not really the point.

And it's not so much, "it's not good enough" as "it's not getting better" That's why I'm here.

Edited by CaviesFan1

That's certainly true. Though I don't really think I'm good enough to be reaching a plateau, not yet. I've only been playing traditional grip for a year and a half, and due to massive practice it's comfortible but it's certainly not competitive div. 1 quality yet.

Any specific practice advice? Let's say I wanted to make Cavaliers next year. What would you recommend specifically?

That's certainly true. Though I don't really think I'm good enough to be reaching a plateau, not yet. I've only been playing traditional grip for a year and a half, and due to massive practice it's comfortible but it's certainly not competitive div. 1 quality yet.

Any specific practice advice? Let's say I wanted to make Cavaliers next year. What would you recommend specifically?

I personally think it is a plateau, but only for now. I seem to get in it with the mellophone. You practice and then you get to something that you just can't seem to get. No matter what, you can't find the right way to do. One day, it'll just click right in. You'll do something different and you can play it. Then you practice somemore to get that down right and more opportunities are available. Eventually you'll hit another roadblock and start the cycle over again.

What I'm saying is, keep doing it. Maybe try to do something different that doesn't compromise the technique, if you're really anxious. Personally, I stopped playing for about a day or two, then do it again and find that I found the right "trick."

I guess it is a plateau then, but it better end soon! I had 8 or so months of rapid improvement but for the last 6 or so I improved at some things but not at others. It's terrible aggravating! Of course the better you get the harder it is to get better, but I doubt I'm there yet.

So, any percussionist got specific advice? Not just to "get over the hump" but just general practice tips. What to play, how to play it, etc. Anything at all is appreciated!

And thanks for the quick replies.

I'm not going to take a break! Not for a while.

So I guess I'll just keep at it and see what happens.

A different question- Anyone who knows anything about drumming- What advice would you give me for practicing and improving. Exercises? Opinions? Anything at all! I want to spend my time a wisely as possible.